× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem connecting a R6120 router as access point to a C7000 Router-Modem

47Chevy
Tutor

Problem connecting a R6120 router as access point to a C7000 Router-Modem

I am trying to set up an access point using a old R6120 Netgear WIFI router as the Access Point either net wired to my to my Night Hawk c7000 cable- modem/router.    I am a bit new to this stuff and I have looked at dozens of You Tube video but I cannot figure out how to get log in access the R6120 Admin to change the IP setting and the DHCP.  I have tried logging in to a web browser using the R6120s  current IP address but it doesn't recognize it.  I can't get the R6120 to connect to the internet. I suspect its because the C7000 is both the cable modem and WIFI router.    Anyone know how I can get access to the R6120 admin?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Easiest way? 

1. factory reset the R6120

2. leave it disconnected from the C7000

3. run through your setup on the R6120 to configure it how you want. Leave switching it to access point mode to last.

4. once its all configured, click it over to access point mode. While its rebooting, connect it to the C7000. Connect the R6120's wan port to a lan port on the C7000

5. The R6120's IP address should be in the C7000's attached devices page if you want to access it to modify it further. 

Message 2 of 6
47Chevy
Tutor

Thanks for the replies.  No matter how I attempt it, I still cannot connect to the R6120 admin settings because I can't get it connected to the internet.  I accessed the C7000 admin settings so I know how to get there.    I've tried leaving the R6120  disconnected from the C7000 modem/router.  It showed up in the computer WiFI as an available network but would not connect to the internet (I am using a laptop). So when I entered the IP 192.168.1.1 it would not connect.   I connected the R6120 to the laptop by Ethernet cable and that didn't work as I still lost internet access.    Not sure why that happened because the laptop still should have had wifi connectivity to the C7000 and connection to the internet provider.  Like I said, I am relatively new to this kind of thing but I feel I am missing something basic.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@47Chevy wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  No matter how I attempt it, I still cannot connect to the R6120 admin settings because I can't get it connected to the internet.  I accessed the C7000 admin settings so I know how to get there.    I've tried leaving the R6120  disconnected from the C7000 modem/router.-----which is has a different IP address because it was connected to the c7000. Its why step 1 was factory reset with it disconnected.   It showed up in the computer WiFI as an available network but would not connect to the internet (I am using a laptop).----Because its in a double nat.  So when I entered the IP 192.168.1.1 it would not connect.-----Because thats not its ip address anymore. you might try 10.0.0.1 if you don't want to reset. Or go into the pc that is connected to it and pull up a command prompt and type ipconfig. That'll give you its default ip address (as long as its not connected to the c7000)   I connected the R6120 to the laptop by Ethernet cable and that didn't work as I still lost internet access.---Because you're still using the wrong ip address for it.     Not sure why that happened because the laptop still should have had wifi connectivity to the C7000 and connection to the internet provider.  Like I said, I am relatively new to this kind of thing but I feel I am missing something basic.----You are. you didn't reset. And if you don't reset, then you need to find out what ip address the router is actually assigned. Thats why I started with "factory reset" with the routers disconnected from each other.  

Message 4 of 6
47Chevy
Tutor

Been meaning to get back to you.  Finally got the R6120 reset running as an AP.  

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working! might mark it as solved so others aren't still trying to fix the issue 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7