× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6200v2 not pushing gigabit ethernet speeds

kauinoa
Aspirant

R6200v2 not pushing gigabit ethernet speeds

Let me start by saying that currently I only get 100 mbps speeds from my ISP.  That being said, I was recently having network slowdowns and so I had a Spectrum technician come by to check things out.  While he was here he wanted to test out another modem with a 300 mbps connection, which worked fine when my computer was connected to the modem directly.  However, when the connection ran through my R6200v2 the speed dropped into the 80 mbps range.  My understanding is that all of the ethernet ports are gigabit ports so they should have ramped up to the higher bandwidth but they didn't.  Does anyone have a fix for this?  I was considering upgrading my service but if I need a new router too I may just wait, especially since as far as I know this one should be working fine for it.

I have the newest firmware updated on the router and, as I said, everything worked fine when connected to the modem directly so the cables or computer can't be the issue.

Thanks for any help on this.

Model: R6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

@kauinoa wrote:

Let me start by saying that currently I only get 100 mbps speeds from my ISP.  That being said, I was recently having network slowdowns and so I had a Spectrum technician come by to check things out.  While he was here he wanted to test out another modem with a 300 mbps connection, which worked fine when my computer was connected to the modem directly.  However, when the connection ran through my R6200v2 the speed dropped into the 80 mbps range.  My understanding is that all of the ethernet ports are gigabit ports so they should have ramped up to the higher bandwidth but they didn't.  Does anyone have a fix for this?  I was considering upgrading my service but if I need a new router too I may just wait, especially since as far as I know this one should be working fine for it.

I have the newest firmware updated on the router and, as I said, everything worked fine when connected to the modem directly so the cables or computer can't be the issue.

What's the link speed between the R6300 and the modem? Double check your Ethernet cable (swap it, irregardless - minimum CAT5e or CAT6 +), as it should negotiate to 1000Mbps, unless your ISP's  device does not support anything greater than 100Mbps.  Regarding upgrading your internet speed, I woud think this router could support around 300Mbps from your ISP, but anything greater, would be a bit of a stretch, as the R6000 Series is NG's first gen .AC routers. SIngle CPU's, minimal RAM. For additional troubleshooting, you can find your router's manual here.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6200v2 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

Not sure that I follow this, but if the issue is that you get a big speed drop when you go through the modem rather than the router here are some things that people have tried to fix this issue with various devices:

• Check that you have the right settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Sadly, there is no single explanation or answers, nor has Netgear intervened in these discussions.

Message 2 of 5
netwrks
Master

@kauinoa wrote:

What's the link speed between the R6300 and the modem? Double check your Ethernet cable (swap it, irregardless - minimum CAT5e or CAT6 +), as it should negotiate to 1000Mbps, unless your ISP's  device does not support anything greater than 100Mbps.  Regarding upgrading your internet speed, I woud think this router could support around 300Mbps from your ISP, but anything greater, would be a bit of a stretch, as the R6000 Series is NG's first gen .AC routers. SIngle CPU's, minimal RAM. For additional troubleshooting, you can find your router's manual here.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6200v2 

Message 3 of 5
kauinoa
Aspirant

Sorry, my initial post was a little long and maybe not that clear.  When I connect directly to the modem I am getting the full speed I should be based on my ISP plan - at present that's 200 mbps.  When I go through my router (R6200v2) I'm only getting 100 mbps at most.  It seems like the ethernet port is auto-sensing to throttle to 100.  I'm not sure how to fix that.

Message 4 of 5
kauinoa
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies guys.  I feel like a bonehead for not having checked previously - the issues was the cable running from the modem to the router.  The cable was pretty old - it was a cat 5 but I believe it must have worn out.  I replaced it with the new cable I got with the new modem and speeds shot up instantly.

Thanks for the reminder to always check everything!  Problems often have simple solutions.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7