× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6220 Can not pass 1Gig Traffic

KNCLLC
Aspirant

R6220 Can not pass 1Gig Traffic

When we test our connections only receiving 400-500 throughput on a 1gig connection. When testing to the cable modem it is passing gig traffic. Lan ports won't pass more than 400/500.

Support is a joke and won't talk to me without paying money. They won't replace it either. Time for new product if we can't figure this out.

Latest firmware installed and same issue ......

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
KNCLLC
Aspirant

I understand it won't hit gig speed over wireless but it should be able to pass gig speeds to the internal lan. Realistically your should get about 80-85% and spread over the internal ports.. but when only one device is connected it should get close...... 300 - 500 is far from acceptable.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. it won't hit gigabit speeds over wireless. It *might* get close over hardwired. But you'd have to hit all optimal conditions. (factory reset the router and during setup make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls disabled) Also make sure you're not testing using the built in speedtest in the netgear app. Its not accurate at >500mbps speeds. Smallnetbuilder tested its wan--->lan throughput at roughly 778mbps.  https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/75-lan-to-wan/17

2. What modem do you have? Some people have modem/router combo devices that cause a double nat

3. If you're planning on having gigabit, a router upgrade is a good choice. Again, you have a base model router and gigabit speeds. 

4. support is only free for the first 90 days. The warranty is longer for hardware failure but you're not running into a hardware problem. You're running into a misunderstanding of what you're purchased. 

You have a base model R6220 router. Most network providers all have a class of AC1200 devices and all perform similar. None are going to max out a gigabit line. I'd recommend reading up a bit on AC1200 class devices. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32651-ac1200-router-roundup-part-1

Message 2 of 6
KNCLLC
Aspirant

I understand it won't hit gig speed over wireless but it should be able to pass gig speeds to the internal lan. Realistically your should get about 80-85% and spread over the internal ports.. but when only one device is connected it should get close...... 300 - 500 is far from acceptable.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Did you read the tested specs on the smallnetbuilder site for that class of routers? 

Even the midrange devices struggle to max out gigabit on the wan-->lan interterface if they have an additional load on them (like qos, traffic monitoring, etc). And thats the midrange. The R6220 is the base model gigabit device. Any more base model and it'd be a 10/100mbps interface. 

Its like buying a low end honda car and wondering why it won't max out the speedometer. 

Message 4 of 6
KNCLLC
Aspirant

Should not be touted as GIG if it won't support GIG.. End of discussion... its the old saying you get what you pay for and Netgear isn't what it says it is. And their support is the worst. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Did you read any of the reviews on AC1200 devices? 

They're all that way and not just netgears. 

You bought something without researching it and understanding what you bought and blame it on Netgear because "I got what I paid for". 

You're right, you did. You bought a base level router. 

If you want a Corvette, buy one. Don't buy a malibu and then complain because it doesn't have the same performance as the corvette. 

In regards to their support, I don't think they're the worst as I've dealt with worse (comcast) but I do have to agree it could use some work. 

Their 90 days of support needs to be better spelled out 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7