× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6220 - Does NOT support IPv6

ChrisKoczka
Guide

I think the fact that Netgear is handing out beta patches on a indiviual basis, indicates that the companyis not up to the task of creating an authorized firmware version, to make their product work as described, that being Wireless N, A/C with IPv6 support.  It is this incident that will have me seeking better solutions for my clients and myself in the future.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 76 of 144
TheEther
Guru

I'm not privy to Netgear's beta process in particular, but having had experience at other companies, I would say that you should not draw this conclusion. Beta programs are frequently limited in order to make it manageable for the company. While you might think that it makes sense to make beta software publicly available, it can often be less effective to do this. The volume or quality of feedback could be too high and poor, respectively, or the software could have known, serious issues that would make it unsuitable for general use.

It is taking Netgear quite some time to add IPv6 and you are certainly entitled to give up on waiting, but don't let beta participation unduly influence your decision.
Message 77 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

If they advertise IPv6 on the box, that is the technology I paid for.  I don't have IPv6 on Wireless N even after the firmware.  I had to dismiss my warantee rights to get the beta.  Am I happy as a beta tester? FU$K NO!  I paid over $100 for a IPv6 router.  My ISP is fully IPv6 set.  So Netgear Says their router is IPv6 but it is not.  That means they committed fraud.  I DON"T GIVE A FU$K how long it took Netgear to develop IPv6, why do you think that would matter?  If they can't figure it out, then they should not post it on their product description.  It is like they don't really have software engineers employed; they might just be some ringky dink company on the edge of unsolvency.  Maybe it is time for them to fold as a company, now that they perpetrated this kind of fraud.

Message 78 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

https://plus.google.com/117735547342995121255/posts/Gof9aJHJPHU

It is July 2016, and the R6220 doen't do IPv6 as descirbed on the box,   IPv6 doesn't work with wireless N even after applying their secret beta software.

But their people want screen shots of my systems...how lame a rinky-dink operation they must have.  This is a copmany to avoid at all costs.

Message 79 of 144
OOKBO
Aspirant

@DexterJB Hi ,Can you send me The beta firmware ?, Thanks!!

Message 80 of 144
Orosta
Star

Would it be possible to perform an RMA-style return and swap this router with one that has native IPV6 support? I've flashed the beta firmware multiple times and ipv6 doesn't work correctly even after following your guides precisely. 

Message 81 of 144
Gigs
Aspirant

Can i get a link to the beta as well?

Model: R6200|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router
Message 82 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

The firmware did not fix IPv6 across the bands.  Netgear doesn't appear to really care about this, or they would have an authorized firmware release that allows the R6220 router to work as advertized.  Alas, Netgear is NOT up to the task of making this router work as advertised.

Message 83 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

It appears that Netgear will not bother fixing the R6220 router, in a way that it will operate as advertised.  What a waste of $108.  Now I will be buying a TP-LINK Archer C8 for $99; and if it does well, I will again have something I can recommend to my clients, being that this episode has soured me on Netgear for the foreseeable future.

Message 84 of 144
Seta-San
Star

I'm talking with a professor at my local university about finding a lawyer that handles class action lawsuit. at this point i don't even want my money back. i don't care if the lawyer keeps all of it. i just want netgear to pay for lying and cheating

Message 85 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

I finally have the solution: fast Wireless G, N, and very fast Wireless A/C and IPv6 for all connected devices.  I've had enough of being part of Netgear's trial and error department.  I dumped the R6220 router, and replaced it with a TP‑LINK Archer C8 router.  It work very nicely.  This morning I met with a client that is repeatedly having drops with her Netgear router, so I was happy to recommend a TP‑LINK router to replace her Netgear router.  As a tech, I can no longer recommend Netgear, due to the terrible experience with losing $108 on a Netgear R6220!  If you speed and IPv6, avoid Netgear products.

Model: R6220v2|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 86 of 144
Seta-San
Star

i'm now being told that the Firmware won't be released until the end of the year. Who is up for a Class Action Lawsuit? Private Message me if you're interested in making Netgear pay for their false advertising.

Message 87 of 144
Jizzylax
Star

Sounds good to me. In the meantime, I'm three clicks away from a TP-Link Archer. Just trying to figure out which to get...
Message 88 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

I would recommend the TP-Link C8 router, gigabit ports, IPv6 works on all connection: N and a/c.
I figgured being Netgear isn't really going to fix the R6220, enough of my time was wasted, so I put Netgear's partial birth fetus of a router in the back of the closet, just incase some day a real firmware fix gets released,   But as it was time to take my own advice, and not let machines ruin my days, I bought something that was cost effective, fast and IPv6 compatible, so I bought a TP-Link C8 router, and now I'm up to where I want my home network to be.

Here is the link to the specs:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C8.html

Message 89 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

I don't think you will succeed with a class action, and I'm sure Netgear feels the same way, or they would have taken the R6220 off the shelves long ago.
So what I will suggest is not to let this experience ruin your days, I hated to bite the bullet and replace a new router with another router, but I am enjoying my highspeed IPv6 connections with a TP-Link Archer C8 ($100).  How much is your happiness worth?

Here is a link to TP-Links C8 router info:

Message 90 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

If Netgear let us swap routers for full functioning models, they would come out on top for support.  Alas, this thread would not have so many pages of reports from users, and secret beta firmware files being given out only after you agree to not hold Netgear responcible for more than $1.   Netgear has no impetus to really fix this.  So to my fellows, I say for you own piece of mind, give this company Netgear who has abused our trust, the attention they deserve, and buy products that work, and leave Netgear in the past.
I am so happy with the replacement router I bought, and everything is now working so very well for me.
Check this ($100) solution out:

Cheers.

Message 91 of 144
Jizzylax
Star

Fixed.

I bought a TP-Link Archer C1200. Maybe I'll use this Netgear junk as an access point.
Message 92 of 144
BasementGamer
Aspirant

Wow, I just bought this today, and I can't believe it doesn't support IPv6, a standard that was created in 1998. I will return this unit tomorrow and never again buy netgear.

Message 93 of 144
betanet
Aspirant

@DexterJB, can you send me a beta firmware that supports IPv6 please?

Message 94 of 144
Wang229035
Aspirant

@DexterJB, can you send me a beta firmware with IPv6 supported ? Thank you.
Message 95 of 144
Jizzylax
Star

Can we get an update on IPv6 support? This damn thing came out nearly a year ago, and it still doesn't support all the features advertised on the freaking box.
Message 96 of 144
ChrisKoczka
Guide

Save your own piece of mind, give this company Netgear who has abused our trust, the attention they deserve, and buy products that work, and leave Netgear in the past.

I am so happy with the replacement router I bought, IPv6, on Wireless n & a/c, and ethernet; everything is now working well after ditching the (albeit at a $108 cost) Netgear equipment/junk.

You might want to check out this ($100) solution which did everything it was supposed to:

Cheers.

Message 97 of 144
dickstout
Aspirant

Screenshot 2016-10-28 22.38.30.pngThis is almost a year later what is going on?  Why have they made no updates yet?  I work from home and upgraded last week.  This is bullcrap

Message 98 of 144
xVulcanRiderx
Aspirant

Here we are approaching December 2016 and Netgear has still not addressed this issue? Shame.

I have always used their products and recommended them to others. Apparently shame on me.

When and where is this update? How long does it take?

Message 99 of 144
Seta-San
Star

"The latest update from engineering is Q1-Q2 of next year.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team"
Message 100 of 144
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7