× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6300v2 Firmware is invalid

zu5be
Tutor

R6300v2 Firmware is invalid

Hello there.

I am on firmware version V1.0.3.26_10.0.70 on model R6300v2 and wanted to update to the most recent version. 

While trying to update manually, that is by downloading the firmware and initiating the update process the router OS rejects it as being Invalid firmware. 

Also, tried using the inbuilt settings in the router to update but failed with the same error.

i tried using different browsers as well with the same result.

Thanks in advance!

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
zu5be
Tutor

Tried all sorts of stuff. 

Finally, I used the DD-Wrt firmware to upgrade.

First brushed the stock firmware with DD-Wrt(initial release for the router) and then upgraded to stock (latest Update) from DD-Wrt. 

Worked for me!

if somebody else wants to follow this method, do it at your own risk.

Cheers and thanks, everybody. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies

You seem to be two versions behind current.

R6300v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Have you tried the intermediate (Firmware Version 1.0.3.28) before going to the latest (Firmware Version 1.0.3.30)?

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

YOU have to EXTRACT or unzip it first!

Message 3 of 9
zu5be
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did! Man LOL

Message 4 of 9
zu5be
Tutor

Tried all sorts of stuff. 

Finally, I used the DD-Wrt firmware to upgrade.

First brushed the stock firmware with DD-Wrt(initial release for the router) and then upgraded to stock (latest Update) from DD-Wrt. 

Worked for me!

if somebody else wants to follow this method, do it at your own risk.

Cheers and thanks, everybody. 

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Before this had that router use anything other than Netgear FW? I'm asking because I have two them and thinking about trying 3rd party FW

Message 6 of 9

@searay wrote:

... thinking about trying 3rd party FW

Any reason for this? Beyond the challenge.

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, I have 2 of them sitting around. I resently switched my r7000 to Xwrt-Vortex while it's not perfect it does offer some unique controls and options. One thing certain it will be a cold day in he// before ARLO is an option.

Message 8 of 9
zu5be
Tutor

Yes, when I purchased it in china, I asked the seller to brush it with Asus- Merlin firmware. I used it for a year and often had an issue with a sudden drop of internet speed which didn't make sense as I was on a 100Mbps connection.  Rebooting the router fixed the problem. 

I used a special image to brush back to stock and was not able to update the firmware to a newer version. Then I brushed it again with DD-Wrt from there tried to go back to stock with updated firmware and failed. i researched a bit and found that there are two versions of R6300v2 CH and without CH, I brushed it with CH VERSION FIRMWARE. it worked but only to find out that it has no updates since the initial release. So, back to DD-Wrt again and tried brushing the updated firmware version of R6300v2 and it worked! 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7