× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6350 How many devices can I connect

Rodrimag
Aspirant

R6350 How many devices can I connect

Hi, 

I have an R6350 and would like to know how many devices (wifi) I can connect.

I have approximately 30 devices connected at 2.4GHz and 8 connected at 5GHz.

When I try to connect a new one, I normally have issues, or when the router restart, some devices did not receive an IP address and I need to block this device to the others receiving the IP address.

Maybe I have many devices?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its usually 32 per band. but the R6350 is a pretty basic router. If you can move any of the 2.4ghz devices to 5ghz, you'll do better to even out the load a bit

Message 2 of 8
Rodrimag
Aspirant

So, it means 32 devices at 2.4Ghz and 32 devices at 5Ghz!!! So if I connect a second wifi router (this r6350 connect a second wifi router by ethernet cable), I can double the devices?
Message 3 of 8
Rodrimag
Aspirant

So, it means 32 devices at 2.4Ghz and 32 devices at 5Ghz!!! So if I connect a second wifi router (this r6350 connect a second wifi router by ethernet cable), I can double the devices?
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you've separated out the bands and made sure they're not on the same channel. 

but again, its not a flagship router, its a pretty base model one. 

While it should support up to 32 devices, if they're higher bandwidth devices, you're going to have issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-WiFi-client-devices-can-my-NETGEAR-router-support

Message 5 of 8
Rodrimag
Aspirant

Ok, If I understood you, my router is a basic one, and my devices are simple IoT, like a smart switch, or smart lamp, these devices do not require higher bandwidth. So my idea is to connect a second router to increase the number of devices in my network. In my mind I will have 20 devices on my first router and more 20 devices on the second, my thoughts are correct, adding a router increases the device's number even that I sacrifice a little my bandwidth with a low investment.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

It should work. But put the 2nd router in AP mode. 

Message 7 of 8

@plemans wrote:

It should work. But put the 2nd router in AP mode. 

Does that increase the number of wifi cliemts it can handle, or does it all feed back to the router?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series