× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 connected to CM1000 modem on comcast 1200mbps, only getting 500-600mbps

merkk
Aspirant

R6400v2 connected to CM1000 modem on comcast 1200mbps, only getting 500-600mbps

My PC is wired to the router, I'm not using wifi for these issues.

I've had this router for a while now, and up until about 2 months ago I was using it with a fiber internet connection that was 1gbps up and down, and I my computer was getting those speeds. I moved recently and was using a modem/router combo with a 600mbps comcast cable connection. I just recently upgraded the connection to 1200 mbps. I had to get a new modem to support the faster speeds. I got a standalone modem Netgear CM1000. And I connected my router to this modem. The router should be able to support close to the full speed. It's rated for 1000 mpbs, and as I stated previously, I was using this router up until 2 months ago with a 1gbps connection.

However, now I am only getting about 500mbps, 600 at most. If I connect my PC directly to the modem, I get roughly the speeds I am supposed to be getting (PC has a 1gb card so I know i wont get 1200mpbs). This PC is also the same PC I was using previously with the 1gbps connection and had no issues. 

I have tried restarting both the modem and router several times. I have tried using a CAT7 cable to connect the modem to the router. Cable to the PC is CAT6. I have also just factory reset the router as well, and it's still not giving me full speeds. I also updated the firmware and that didn't seem to have any effect either. 

Doesn't seem like this is an issue with comcast since I get the correct speeds when I am connected directly to the modem.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6

Re: R6400v2 connected to CM1000 modem on comcast 1200mbps, only getting 500-600mbps

What firmware version do you have on the R6400v2?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

2 things to try. 

1. make sure ipv6 is enabled and try it

2. if you didn't after changing plans, try a factory reset on the router. Make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled

You can also try downgrading the firmware a version or 2 and seeing if that'll help. 

Message 3 of 6
merkk
Aspirant

Firmware version is V1.0.4.128_10.0.104 and I did do a factory reset, to no effect. IP6 is currently enabled. And the router has both a LAN and WAN ip6 address. And I also did try a factory reset which didn't seem to have any effect. And all of those extra features are turned off. And I suppose I already tried a firmware downgrade since the firmware was out of date when I first tried using it. And I did a factory reset after i upgraded the firmware.

The router is more or less in a default state right now. IP6 being about the only thing I had to change after the reset.

Message 4 of 6
hollymolly
Aspirant

I would talk to comcast customer service

Message 5 of 6
merkk
Aspirant

I was, although they didn't come up with anything useful. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with them since the modem gives the correct speed when my PC is plugged into it. It's only giving slower speed when the router was plugged into the modem.

Although it's moot at this point. I returned it and picked up a modem/router combo which seems to be working fine.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7