× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 Failure

darrinwaggoner
Aspirant

RBR40 Failure

After a power outage, my RBR40 router no longer works.  The Power LED comes on green, then after a few seconds, flashes red 5 times, then turns green again.  The ring on top is flashing white (1 second on, 1 second off).  The wifi network are available for a few seconds, then go away.  Can't connect via hardwired computer, no DHCP address is assigned and assigning manually does't work using 192.168.x.x.  Tried holding in reset button for 30 seconds, does nothing, still green power and flashing white ring.

Does anyone know what the 5 red flashes of the power LED means? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

@darrinwaggoner wrote:

After a power outage, my RBR40 router no longer works. 

What caused it? Thunderstorms are good at killing electronics.

Did you restart the whole network in the right order?

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 3
darrinwaggoner
Aspirant

No thunderstorm, just a power outage and the Router is plugged into a battery backup and continued to run until it was powered off.

Yes, I have tried the power on sequence multiple times.  I have tried to factory reset multiple times, just blinks red each time.  I have resorted to trying to tftp the firmware, but it always times out trying to send the file.  No response from a ping either.

It appears to be dead.  It is past the one year warranty so Netgear won't even troubleshoot it. I have never seen a product like this that doesn't have a reliable factory reset process! It appears from these forums and Reddit, this is a common problem with the Orbi line!  Luckily, I still have my old reliable Apple AirtPort Extreme to use for now until I can find a solution or a replacement!  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7