× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router reboots

Jamop
Aspirant

Router reboots

My 17 month old r6400 v2 reboots itself very frequently...2-3 time hourly. I have reset to factory and reinstalled; short term it helped but started same problem after several hours. Also cannot see all connected devices in app on iPad only 1 or 2 are visibe but have about 10 connected. Logging into router via browser all appears fine but it will show maybe 8 devices connected but when I drill down only 1 or 2 show up. 

All connections are good and have plugged into different wall outlets.

any suggestions before I replace.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: Router reboots

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 8
Jamop
Aspirant

Firmware V1.0.4.120 connected to Netgear CM1000-100NAS   ISP is Spectrum

Back story- replaced spectrum provided modem/router single box with this equipment 17 months ago based on recommendation of spectrum sevice rep who suggested a 2 box system as I was have a lot of outages. It worked well for several months but then problems resurfaced and have been escalating. I removed ethernet cable from router to tv adn connected it using wifi as tv stopped recieving singal via cable. I have since reset router to factory and reinstalled. No improvement. My next step may be to do another factory reset and change the names on my network to something new and different. I don't want to do this nor do i think it will help.

Message 3 of 8
Jamop
Aspirant

65EB4592-D6F7-43FF-8771-09C9B099C9FC.pngscreen shot of app on ipad. There are more than 7 devices connected; i can update descriptions and icon but it reverts back to this. Sometimes it will show only 1 or 2 devices with correct description and icon...I'm baffled

Message 4 of 8
wcalifas
Prodigy

Try installing a different firmware to your router see if that helps. Also I'd try a different power adapter, maybe its failing. Just a few things to try and troubleshoot.

Message 5 of 8
LucianoMM
Aspirant

I have the same problems. 

If I test my conection (speedtest.com or fast.com), my router reboot it self. 

Message 6 of 8
LucianoMM
Aspirant

I tried. Firmware Version 120, 102 and 98. 

I noticed that the router was at a higher temperature. I turned on a fan and there was no restart, so far.

I redid the same speed test where the router restarted and it didn't happen again.

I will run more tests. 

Message 7 of 8
LucianoMM
Aspirant

Have you tried to place the router in a higher place where the bottom does not touch any surface?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series