× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trek PR2000 DHCP-problems, keeps dropping connections, maybe workaround

ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@FrankVelo Kindly check your inbox.

Message 51 of 186
DelMundo
Aspirant

Wow can't believe this router doesn't work.  I'm trying to connect to my XfinityWifi hotspot.  It connects but its sooooooo slow that its unusable.  Tried everything (and they don't leave many settings for us to play with). 

Works fine on the local network with the NAS I just bought.  

I bought this because I needed the LAN port for the NAS.

I was using the amazing HooToo Tripmate Nano.  It works awesome, especially for this AP hotspot mapping (hotels, Xfinity WifiHotSpot).  Has a great USB "nas".  The web-page interface is instantaneous fast.  Runs off almost no power from a USB port.  Almost matchbook sized.

This Trek is 4X as big and doesn't work for what I want.  

Netgear folks, just go buy a HooToo and copy it exactly, then add on the LAN port.  

Hoping this gets fixed quick or it's going back to Amazon and I'll just grab one of those TP-nano's.  Sadly, it doesn't have a USB "nas" so then I'll have to carry two routers.  The hope with this one was to only have one.  But the Tp-nano and the Tripmate nano will be smaller than the Trek anyway.

Message 52 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DelMundo I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

What's the current firmware installed on your router?

Did you try changing the MTU size on the router? This setting is under Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup

Try setting the MTU to 1400. Once done, observe your connection.

Message 53 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

If this issue isn't resolved by Nov. 11th, both of the Treks I have now will be going back to Amazon, and I will ask for a full refund. This device is erratic at best. I've worked in Information Technology for nearly 30 years, and I have rarely come across a networking device as unstable as this one. 

Amazon should be made aware that the PR2000 Trek devices they are selling are defective, and buyers have little hope of having issues resolved. 

Message 54 of 186
DelMundo
Aspirant

Nope the RTU didn't fix anything.  Using newest FW.  Router seems to be working worse tonight if that's even possible.  

Back to using my HooToo Tripmate.  Love that thing, wish it had a LAN port.

Message 55 of 186
Kandralla
Tutor

"Amazon should be made aware that the PR2000 Trek devices they are selling are defective, and buyers have little hope of having issues resolved." That's pretty much what I did when Staples demanded that I review the product. Mine's returned now. The fact that this product made it to shelves in this state indicates to me that Netgear doesn't know how to test their products. If they missed the fact that a client disconnecting causes the router to stop working and reboot what other things did they miss that people won't notice (think security). This would be like a car manufacturer not realizing that their car can't make a right hand turn because they never thought to make a clockwise run around the test track.
Message 56 of 186
FelixZ
Aspirant

I can confirm the same experience. If you connect multiple devices and then disconnect one, the router will drop connection to all devices. And I thought the point of this device was to be able to share a single WiFi connection... I really hope that the fix mentioned in an earlier post will be released soon in a new firmware. Otherwise, I'll have to return this device where it came from. That would be a shame, because I see a lot of potential if the router was actually useable.

Message 57 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

I've given up hope on a resolution for this issue and am returning my Trek to Amazon. Luckily, they are allowing me to return two of them since the first one was outside of their standard return policy.

One primary purpose I had for the Trek was to use the ethernet port to connect a device which was not equiped with a wireless adapter nor could a USB adapter be used. When the Trek wasn't working, I shared a wireless connection from one of my spare laptops, and it worked great. 

Unfortunately, because of this experience, this has been my first purchase of a Netgear device and my last. The issues I've experience with the Trek are so bizarre that I cannot see myself recommending any of Netgear’s product line to anyone I know. 

Message 58 of 186
rfizer
Aspirant

I too am having horrible disconnect problems. I am on version V1.0.0.14_1.0.1 - is the bet available to download? Or does anyone know when it will be available?

Message 59 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tjdoherty33 I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

One of our support team tried reaching out to you in order to assess the situation and get further details.

Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

@DelMundo, @FelixZ@rfizer Our engineers are carefully evaluating all possible causes and basing all their test from the reports submitted.

There are many factors that they need to consider as they work on the resolution. For the meantime, kindly PM me your network setup and description of the problem as to when it happens.

Thank you!

Message 60 of 186
HaxNobody
Aspirant

I just realized what was happening with my Trek after reading this thread. Any chance I can get a test/beta firmware to try out? Here's my application:

I have a fleet of wireless temperature sensors that report via WiFi, and I want to use them with this router. The way these sensors work is that they connect once per minute and send their data, then disconnect. I was confused as to why the router would keep rebooting when I had devices pointing to it, but remain on when nothing was connected - this issue is obviouly the disconnections causing a reboot.

I'd like to deploy these sensors soon, so getting all these routers I bought working is a priority. Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a similar router that is able to to DHCP, that would be ideal. The TP-Link models don't do that, so I can't use them.

Message 61 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @HaxNobody

Kindly PM me your network setup and description of the problem as to when it happens.

What's the current mode you're using with the PR2000?

Is it Wired or Wireless? This is the toggle switch available on the side of the router.

Also, what is the brand/model of that sensor devices you have?

Let me know and I'll verify with our engineering department if the test firmware is applicable to you.

Message 62 of 186
parrot5
Aspirant

Registered to this forum to say I am experiencing the same disconnecting issue.  I connect the Netgear PR2000 Trek to another WiFi network, and allow the Trek to create its own SSID. I then connect my devices (laptop, iPhone, Blackberry, iOS and android tablets) to Trek's SSID. Whenever one device sleeps or disconnects, the Trek reboots.  This behavior is consistent, every time, everyday.

If there is a Beta that may resolve this issue, please forward a copy to me. Thanks.

Message 63 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@parrot5 Kindly register your device in order for us to proceed with the request and to create a case for you.

Thank you!

Message 64 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

In response to Netgear support urging the closing of my case, I replied with the following:

"It is up to you whether or not you close this case without resolution. There are plenty of other users that are dissatisfied with the lack of functionality of this product. I have returned one device to Amazon for an exchange, and will be sending the other back requesting a refund. $40 may not seem much to you guys, but it is a lot to me. I had to have a functional device for my $40, so I purchased a router/extender with a LAN port from another vendor. It works without a hitch.

I have spent nearly 30 years in Information Technology, and I cannot fathom delivery of a product such as the Trek PR2000. To make it worse, the first reports of failure were posted many months ago, and the issue still remains unsolved by your technical staff. If I am a manager at Netgear, I would be looking for new staff. Selling a defective product on a popular storefront like Amazon, and then providing sub-par technical support, cannot be welcomed by your marketing department either.

If your agenda is to close cases, then certainly do so, but if your agenda is to solve problems, then let this case remain open until the issue is resolved.”

Message 65 of 186
parrot5
Aspirant

Just registered. Thanks!

Message 66 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tjdoherty33 Kindly check your inbox.

@parrot5 Thank you! I will forward the request to our engineering team.

Message 67 of 186
marblex
Aspirant

Is there some kind of timescale for a fix to this issue? I've just purchased one of these from Amazon and am having exactly the same problem. When a wireless device disconnects the router reboots.

This problem seems to have been ongoing for a while ... is a non-beta release of the firmware likely any time soon (before the 30 day returns window is up)?

Message 68 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What have you tried so far in troubleshooting the router?

What are the devices involved?

Can you tell us more about your network details?

Message 69 of 186
marblex
Aspirant

Sure, I'm happy to provide details.

I don't have a complicated network. I have a laptop and an android phone. The Netgear PR2000 connects wirelessly to my internet router (a BT Home Hub 5). The laptop and phone connect to the PR2000 wirelessly.

If I use both devices then I have problems with the router rebooting (I watch the lights on the front go out).

I have 2 different SSIDs - let's call them 'Router' (Home Hub 5) and 'Netgear' (PR2000). The tests I have done are:

1) If only the laptop is on, I can swap the laptop (manually using software) between access points (SSIDs) without a problem.

2) If only the phone is on, I can swap the phone (manually using software) between access points (SSIDs) without a problem.

3) If both devices are on and connected to wireless SSID 'Netgear', if I swap the laptop to 'Router', the PR2000 reboots.

4) If both devices are on and connected to wireless SSID 'Netgear', if I swap the phone to 'Router', the PR2000 reboots.

5) If either device is connected to 'Router', I can changeit to use 'Netgear' without a problem.

I've come to the conclusion that it is the disconnecting away from the PR2000 that causes a reboot. If I'm not manually changing between access points, the rebooting seems to happen more randomly ... I guess when the phone wakes up to check for emails or something and then goes back to sleep. It is 100% reproducible when switching access points manually.

Message 70 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

@ElaineM 

Do you mean my email inbox? I don't see anything except the NDA. Is that what you mean?

Message 71 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you sign the NDA and sent it back to support?

Message 72 of 186
rsn
Aspirant
Aspirant

just bought one of these monday and seeing the issue others are reporting using it to connect to several IOT devices that connect and disconnect periodically to save power.

on the off chance you have a fix in beta could I try it out before I send it back to amazon?  Send me the NDA I guess. If your beta will not fix it just let me know so I can buy something else.

Message 73 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rsn PM your network setup and when do you experience the problem.

How many wired and wireless computers?

OS of the devices.

Getting intermittent connection when one device disconnects or it doesn't matter at all?

Which mode you're using on the PR2000 (wired or wireless)?

Message 74 of 186
rsn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just wanted a file to download to try out beta code to maybe keep from having to return the device

I described my 'use case' in my first post and really did not expect to have to elaborate. It was a few battery powered IOT devices and a few phones/tablets all sharing the PR2000 device. When an IOT node shut down to save power or a  tablet was connected to a different test bed access point or repurposed for other reasons (like connecting to the IOT device in AP mode to set up the device)  the PR2000 screwed up connections with any IOT devices that had not yet powered down (maybe they were sending a reading or two so stayed up longer).

So very dynamic connect / disconnect of multiple different WiFi devices.  If my use was static I suspect I would not see the problem from other descriptions of their findings.

I expected to next see an NDA to sign and return so I could just download the latest firmware to try out but you made it way too complicated to bother with so I will return the device to amazon and buy a different brand.

good luck on your fix.

Message 75 of 186
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7