× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unreliable Wireless Signal

TM71
Aspirant

Unreliable Wireless Signal

I am having problems maintaining a wifi connection on devices around my house: a smart TV with Amazon Firestick, one laptop and a cell phone. When streaming properly it runs a respectable 850Mbps, but right now according to my cell phone I have 86mbps, which is a joke. The wifi light constantly flickers; I lose wifi on the tv and phone all the time. The modem is relatively new and I have called the cable company several times for remote connection testing. No modem issues found, all indicator lights solid at all times. I have downloaded the latest firmware update for the router. Resetting the router fixes the problem for a short time, but it always reverts back to slow speed. Before I try anymore fixes, I am hoping for feedback from others who have had this same issue. Any help greatly appreciated.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

This sounds like classic WiFi interference from you neighbors. You can experiment with changing the WiFi channel. There are apps that will provide graphic displays of the WiFi band. From there just pick the clearest channel. 

I use an app called inSSIDer. There is a free version. I have not used it as my version is older. Good luck.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

This sounds like classic WiFi interference from you neighbors. You can experiment with changing the WiFi channel. There are apps that will provide graphic displays of the WiFi band. From there just pick the clearest channel. 

I use an app called inSSIDer. There is a free version. I have not used it as my version is older. Good luck.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Trouble is that there can be other usage "on air" which won't be visible in the WiFI analyzers.  

Message 3 of 6
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

@schumaku wrote:

Trouble is that there can be other usage "on air" which won't be visible in the WiFI analyzers.  

True but unless there is a spare spectrum analyzer available this is all we have.

Message 4 of 6
TM71
Aspirant

Thanks. I got the app, turns out the auto channel select on the router had me on a channel with high traffic that also overlapped with other networks. Turning off the auto and changing the channel seems to have worked so far...

Message 5 of 6
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

@TM71 wrote:

Thanks. I got the app, turns out the auto channel select on the router had me on a channel with high traffic that also overlapped with other networks. Turning off the auto and changing the channel seems to have worked so far...

Auto Channel is a problem. Your's changes then your neighbor's changes and so on! My solution was to run Ethernet to my main TV and I haven't regretted the decision. I'm glad it worked out.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7