× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR3400v2 How can I connect my Samsung tv to the 5ghz band for 4k streaming?

sidmackie
Initiate

WNDR3400v2 How can I connect my Samsung tv to the 5ghz band for 4k streaming?

We had a power outage yesterday, and now I can't access the 5 Ghz band of my router to stream 4k content.  Previously, I was able to select the 5 Ghz band from the available networks, but it doesn't show up now.  Only can connect to the 2.4 Ghz band, and 4k content buffers constantly.  Is there a name for the 5 Ghz band that I can enter as a new network?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
sidmackie
Initiate

Re: WNDR3400v2 How can I connect my Samsung tv to the 5ghz band for 4k streaming?

Thanks for your reply.  I was finally successful after turning off and unplugging the modem, then turning off the router and computer.  I then plugged in the modem, turned it on and let it boot for a couple of minutes.  Same with the router, then computer.  When I went through the steps to connect to a wireless network on my Samsung tv, it gave me the option to connect to NETGEAR54-5G, in addition to the regular NETGEAR54, which is 2.4Ghz.  I'm streaming 4k content like a champ again.  (Samsung support told me their tvs only connect to 2.4Ghz, which is not true).  Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Power surges and storms are great at wrecking electronics or corrupting firmware. I'd try reloading the firmware over a hardwired connection, resetting the device, and starting fresh with the router. 

You could also check the power supply. Surges have been known to cause issues there. I wouldn't buy a new one as that router is a bit older and the $ would probably be better put towards an upgrade. But if you did have a matching power supply, you could test with it. Make sure the voltage is the same and the amperage is at least as much as the netgear one. 

Here's the support site with manuals, firmware, and installation guides. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNDR3400v2.aspx

Message 2 of 3
sidmackie
Initiate

Thanks for your reply.  I was finally successful after turning off and unplugging the modem, then turning off the router and computer.  I then plugged in the modem, turned it on and let it boot for a couple of minutes.  Same with the router, then computer.  When I went through the steps to connect to a wireless network on my Samsung tv, it gave me the option to connect to NETGEAR54-5G, in addition to the regular NETGEAR54, which is 2.4Ghz.  I'm streaming 4k content like a champ again.  (Samsung support told me their tvs only connect to 2.4Ghz, which is not true).  Thanks again for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7