× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [WNDR3400v3] Wireless Isolation enabled prevents devices access to Internet

barrosapo
Aspirant

[WNDR3400v3] Wireless Isolation enabled prevents devices access to Internet

Here is the setup that I'm troubleshooting:

Model: WNDR3400v3

Firmware version: v1.0.1.42_1.0.68

AP mode: On

Get IP address dynamically: On

Get DNS server address dynamically: On

Recently, enabled the guest wireless network and turned on Wireless Isolation. Devices can view and associate just fine to the guess network SSID. However, all devices connected immediately notify that internet connection is not possible, even though connected to wifi. Disabling wireless isolation allows guests access to the internet. This in itself tells us that the configuration has been done properly. So I decided to test with the regular wireless network SSID (non-guest), and the same thing happens.  With wireless isolation off, devices get internet access; yet with wireless isolation on, devices don't get internet access. Now, let it be known that when I view the devices' network information, those get a valid IP address, subnetmask, broadcast address, DNS address, default gateway (of course from the home router). That tells me that there's no configuration error.

I wonder if the WNDR3400v3 creates some sort of ACL that blocks inbound/outbound traffic to all, except DHCP to the router. In Advanced > Security > Access Control, it shows all connected devices as allowed. Is wireless isolation supposed to be meant when WNDR3400v3 acts as the router? 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

@barrosapo wrote:

I wonder if the WNDR3400v3 creates some sort of ACL that blocks inbound/outbound traffic to all, except DHCP to the router. In Advanced > Security > Access Control, it shows all connected devices as allowed. Is wireless isolation supposed to be meant when WNDR3400v3 acts as the router? 

That device dates back to 2014, based on a model from 2010.

It predates many of the things that you will find in newer routers.

"Wireless Isolation" is no longer something that you will find mentioned for most Netgear devices sold in the past decade.

According to Netgear's manual for your device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

This might also be worth reading:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@barrosapo wrote:

That device dates back to 2014, based on a model from 2010.

It predates many of the things that you will find in newer routers.

"Wireless Isolation" is no longer something that you will find mentioned for most Netgear devices sold in the past decade.

According to Netgear's manual for your device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 2 of 3
barrosapo
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Thank you for providing the link to the document. 👍

Which features are disabled on my NETGEAR router when it is set to AP Mode

The following features are not available (grayed out) when your NETGEAR router is in AP mode:

Guest Network

As for your advice about the equipment, I'll bring that up to the owner of the equipment. 😎

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7