× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNR2000 Wireless Access List doesn't list a connected device!

MNDutch
Aspirant

WNR2000v3 Wireless Access List doesn't list a connected device!

I have a Vizio smart TV that is connected to the internet through the router - a wireless connection.  Everything works fine.  I can watch Youtube videos and access other web content.  My TV indicates it has a strong signal from the router, and whenever I ask the TV to test the connection it reports good throughput.  BUT, the router does not list the TV in the list of connected devices.  Since it is not listed,  other devices (my smartphone) can't find the TV as a destination to display content.  Why is the connection not listed and how do I make it appear.

Thanks,

Martin

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and  Netgear router firmware V1.1.2.12 - a recent update that didn't solve the problem.

(The box the router came in lists it as *WNR2000-100NAS*  an N300 wireless router.)

Model: WNR2000|Wireless-N Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
MNDutch
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

Yes, I called Vizio tech support yesterday.  Two things emerged from this conversation.

1. The networking parameters for the TV cannot be modified/edited.

2. The person I talked did not think my TV could be made to perform the function I seek.

(Vizio's newer generation of TV's come with a Smartcast function built-in which should do what I want.)

So, it appears my Vizio TV cannot perform the function I seek.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNR2000v3 Wireless Access List doesn't list a connected device!

Try address reservations this will give same Ip to TV all the time and might help

Message 2 of 11
MNDutch
Aspirant

Hi Searay,

I did try to assign a reserved address, but to do that Netgear provides you with a list of devices that can be assigned an address.  This is the same list as the attached devices list.  The TV does not appear on this list either and thus can not be given a reserved address.

Again, the TV is attached to the internet through the router, it lists the name of the router its using, but the router doesn't list it as attached.

Martin

Message 3 of 11
MNDutch
Aspirant

OOPS!  It appears that one of the devices listed as <unkown>, which I was sure was my satellite receiver, is actually the TV.  So, the the TV does appear on the list after all, but without a name identifying it as a TV.

So, I still have the problem of not being able to connect with my smartphone.

Martin

Message 4 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MNDutch The reason why the smartphone can't see the TV is because the one that's registered is the receiver and not the TV.

The TV should be connected to the network in order for them to see each other.

By the way, what's the exact model number of the TV and the smartphone?

Another thing, how are things connected? Where is the TV connected? What's the receiver that you have?

Normally, if the TV will have its own IP address then any device on the network should have communications with it.

Do you know the IP address of the IP? How about the IP address of the smartphone?

Message 5 of 11
MNDutch
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

The TV is registered separately, but is listed in the list of attached devices as <unknown>.  I gave it a reserved address and tried to change the name there, but no matter what name is added to the reserved address list, in the list of attached devices the TV is still listed as <unknown>.

The TV is a Vizio E601i-A3.  A TV with it's own built-in wireless connection. My phone is a Nokia 920 listed in the attached device list as <WINDOWS-PHONE>.  BTW, my wife has a Samsung Galaxy S3 and my son an iPhone 6.  None work.

The TV and the phones all connect wirelessly to the Netgear router.

The satellite receiver isn't needed for the TV to connect to the router -  it really is bypassed in this process.  In fact,THAT receiver is not connected to the router at all.  (Contrary to what I previously thought.)

The only two items involved are the TV and a phone.  I do know the IP address of each.  The TV and the phone list their IP's and the router shows the identical IP's for each of them in the attached devices list.

So, my assumption:  When the phone app goes to the router and looks for a "player", the phone app is presented with a the attached list of devices and the TV is listed as <unknown>.  Thus, the phone app doesn't see anything that can be used as a display/"player".  Evidently, the label that can be added/edited in the reserved address list has no effect on the actual attached devices list.  Thus, whatever label the TV presents to the router when it wishes to attach itself, in this case I suspect "none" or a blank, it results in the <unknown> label.

Or, are there labels that Netgear doesn't recognize and overwrites with <unknown>?  In any case, I can't seem to alter it manually with the Netgear utility.

Is there a way to manually edit the Netgear attached device listing to change the name of an attached device?

(A second possibility is to find a way to have the Vizio TV use a label that would be recognized as a TV when it attaches.  I haven't found a way to edit the Vizio TV networking data to do that.)

Is my assumption correct?

Martin

Message 6 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are other devices' name listed correctly under attached devices?

From a computer, can you ping the IP address of the TV and the phone?

On the TV's configuration, what's the device name of the TV?

By the way, what software do you use on the phone to project it on the TV?

Just to be clear, are you doing a casting/airplay through the TV?

Message 7 of 11
MNDutch
Aspirant

Are other attached devices listed correctly:  Mostly.  Phones, tablets, and laptops all are listed correctly, however with the two interior Foscam security cameras one is listed as <unknown> and one's Device Name is blank.  An exterior Foscam security camera is sometime listed as <unknown> and sometimes listed with an entry identical to the Andriod phone.  The TV is <unknown>.

Can I ping the TV and phone from the computer: Yes, both respond correctly with no missing packets.

Device name of the TV: <unknown>.

Software on my phone: I've tried two different apps - Lumia Play To & Smart Player.

Casting/airplay:  Not familiar with these terms.  I'm trying wirelessly transmit the pictures on my phone to my Vizio TV for display

With the apps I'm using the process usually goes like this:  Select something to display (I select my phones photos), the app then attempts to find a display device on the router.  No display device is found.

Message 8 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried contacting Vizio if the TV supports such feature?

It might be possible that the TV needs another hardware to support it.

Message 9 of 11
MNDutch
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

Yes, I called Vizio tech support yesterday.  Two things emerged from this conversation.

1. The networking parameters for the TV cannot be modified/edited.

2. The person I talked did not think my TV could be made to perform the function I seek.

(Vizio's newer generation of TV's come with a Smartcast function built-in which should do what I want.)

So, it appears my Vizio TV cannot perform the function I seek.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Message 10 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're very welcome.

Glad to hear that it was sorted out.

Have a great day!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7