× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why won't my printer connect?

rebeccabray
Aspirant

Why won't my printer connect?

I am trying to connect my HP Officejet 7410 wirelessly (new router alreadyconencted to computer ... now trying to print). When I go through the wireless set up, the printer finds the new router, it requests a WEP key. I enter the password but it gives me the following"Key mustbe 5 or 13 characters OR 10 to 26 length with 0-9 and A-F (hex)".  I cannot find the WEP key.  Can someone please help?

Thank you!

bray78703@yahoo.com

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Why won't my printer connect?

Sounds like you'are almost there. Now give the printer fixed ip address.(assign an ip address to the printer0

This'll make sure printer always use smae ip address  not causing ip address conflict with other devices. Then

Power off/on both printer and router. It should do it. You dl  test print from printer property tab. If still won't print

then two things your deviceS which want to use the printer should have printer driver installed, and make sure

the printer is seen at the printer and devices section in the control panel. If not add that printer. second, ping the

printer address to make sure the printer is responding. This confirms printer is on-line and ready to accept print

jobs. When printer has nothing to print, it'll go to sleep to save power. When printer job comes it'll wake up and

start printing. Also if the printer is NFC, Airprint capable it work using that feature from device like iPhone, etc.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

A WEP key is a Wi-Fi passphrase.  Did you set up your router to use WEP?  WEP is insecure.  You should change the router to use WPA2 instead of WEP.  Then try connecting your printer again.

Message 2 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

Bad news is HP printers are norious on wireless hook up. Many folks have problems. The reason is HP is still using ancient software for their new generation printers. WEP is also old near useless security protocol. Haven't set up you router wireless? Can't you use

WPS method?  Go into your router and find out what is your WEP passphrase on 2.4GHz radio. If you did not set it up, there must

be a default value or just blank(not set up) As far as wireless printer goes, Brother, Canon do a very good job. Please keep this in

mind when looking for new wireless printer. If your printer has Ethernet port, then use it for more stable printer operation.

Message 3 of 11
rebeccabray
Aspirant

Thankyou.  If I change the router to WEP, then set up the printer can I change the router back to WPS or an I kind of out of luck. I also cannot harwire between the computer and printer.  The computer has NO ethernet cable.  Becky

Message 4 of 11
TheEther
Guru

WPS does not work with WEP.

It looks like the OfficeJet 4710 supports WPA.  So, switch your router to use WPA/WPA2 or just WPA security.  Your printer should be able to connect at this point.  You will also be able to use WPS.

Message 5 of 11
rebeccabray
Aspirant

Are you suggesting I change my router to WEP, set up the printer and the change the router back to WSP?  Thank you.

Message 6 of 11
rebeccabray
Aspirant

My apologies, I am not very computer savvy ... I only have these secutiy options ... None, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES), and WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES).  Right now the WPA2-PSK (AES) option is checked. Which one of the options should I choose?  Then, I just leave it on this option?  Thank you

Message 7 of 11
TheEther
Guru

I recommend WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES).  If that doesn't work, then use WPA-PSK (TKIP).

Message 8 of 11
rebeccabray
Aspirant

Thank you!  It connects, but I cannot get my printer to connect "online".  Will continue to mess around with things.  Thanks!  Becky

Message 9 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

Sounds like you'are almost there. Now give the printer fixed ip address.(assign an ip address to the printer0

This'll make sure printer always use smae ip address  not causing ip address conflict with other devices. Then

Power off/on both printer and router. It should do it. You dl  test print from printer property tab. If still won't print

then two things your deviceS which want to use the printer should have printer driver installed, and make sure

the printer is seen at the printer and devices section in the control panel. If not add that printer. second, ping the

printer address to make sure the printer is responding. This confirms printer is on-line and ready to accept print

jobs. When printer has nothing to print, it'll go to sleep to save power. When printer job comes it'll wake up and

start printing. Also if the printer is NFC, Airprint capable it work using that feature from device like iPhone, etc.

Message 10 of 11
rebeccabray
Aspirant

Printed and we are good to go.  Thanks!  becky

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements