× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Extender not helping - makes network worse.

TonyPal58
Initiate

Wifi Extender not helping - makes network worse.

Without WiFi extender a speed test using my cell phone shows 320Mbps near main router.  In other location further away about 60 Mbps.  After setting up the extender, speed test shows 20 Mbps near or far away from main router.  So things got much worse!

Also, I can only seem to connect to the xxxxxx_2GEXT nextwork using my iPhone (it says Weak Security under network name).  I cannot connect to that network from my laptop.  I try to connect to the webpage specified in the manual for accessing extender settings but do not get login page expected on my laptop or iPhone.  Just get a page showing, "You are not connected to your extender's WiFi network." and unhelpful list of routers.  Can anyone help.  I thought this was supposed to work easily.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

1. What router are you connect it to? 

2. did you set it up using wps? if so, factory reset the extender and install it using the installation assistant and NOT wps. Wps can get coded different between manufacturers and cause issues. 

3. 2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. Those speeds over 2.4ghz aren't unexpected. And its because of the slow speed of 2.4ghz and the base nature of how extenders have to work. Standard extenders will drop speeds from the extender by 50%. Reason why is they have to send/recieve from router---extender and then extender----device and they can't do both at once. (tribands don't have this limitation because they have a dedicated backhaul)

Extenders are great at covering deadspots and adding to the range. But they usually don't increase speeds unless the router doesn't have coverage to an area. 

So you first need to get the 5ghz working. the 2.4ghz speeds are fairly standard for dual/single band extenders. you should get more speed from 5ghz though but you first have to get it working. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. What router are you connect it to? 

2. did you set it up using wps? if so, factory reset the extender and install it using the installation assistant and NOT wps. Wps can get coded different between manufacturers and cause issues. 

3. 2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. Those speeds over 2.4ghz aren't unexpected. And its because of the slow speed of 2.4ghz and the base nature of how extenders have to work. Standard extenders will drop speeds from the extender by 50%. Reason why is they have to send/recieve from router---extender and then extender----device and they can't do both at once. (tribands don't have this limitation because they have a dedicated backhaul)

Extenders are great at covering deadspots and adding to the range. But they usually don't increase speeds unless the router doesn't have coverage to an area. 

So you first need to get the 5ghz working. the 2.4ghz speeds are fairly standard for dual/single band extenders. you should get more speed from 5ghz though but you first have to get it working. 

Message 2 of 4
TonyPal58
Initiate

Once I got 5G working and directly connected to extender with ethernet cable, was able to login and setup extender.  Thanks again for your recommendations.  The extender is doing its job pretty good now!.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad its working well for you now!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series