× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: create non password protected FTP folder

sakols
Aspirant

create non password protected FTP folder

Hi, 

Im using readyshare which is password protected by the gateway admin password.   I want to create a folder for ftp that does not use the administrator password.   from what I have read this can only be done by making a folder non password protected (anonomyous ftp).  how do I do this.  from testing, if the USB drive is password protected, I can't figure out how to make a non password protected folder on it.  Help would be appreciated.

thanks

Model: C6220|DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

It might not make a difference as this is a ReadySHARE issue, but you could try asking in the appropriate section for your hardware.

That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

One of the drawbacks of cable modem/routers is that, thanks to the ISPs,  Netgear can't make any changes to the firmware. So adding to features like ReadySHARE is not possible.

Then again, ReadySHARE with USB is a pretty crude approach to network attached devices. Maybe you are trying to do something that is simply beyond its capabilities.

One thought is that you might play with ReadyCLOUD to see if that does what you want. But that's just a wild guess based on not knowing what you really want to achieve.

Message 2 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] (anonomyous ftp) [...]

I can't recall ever seeing an anonomyous FTP server as a feature on a
Netgear consumer-grade (modem+)router.  Feel free to suggest:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Assuming that ReadySHARE works properly, you should be able to run a
more capable FTP server on some other system on your LAN, and that FTP
server could use the storage which is attached to (served by) your
C6220.

If nothing else, I'd expect a Raspberry Pi do do the job at low cost
and low power.  (But perhaps not especially high speed.)

> One of the drawbacks of cable modem/routers is that, thanks to the
> ISPs, Netgear can't make any changes to the firmware. So adding to
> features like ReadySHARE is not possible.

Yow.  From where, exactly, do think that the firmware for a Netgear
modem+router comes, if not Netgear?  The ISP governs what gets loaded
onto devices which are connected to its network.  It does not, in
general, exercise control over features offered by the device vendor.
That would be absurd.

> [...] just a wild guess based on not knowing what you really want to
> achieve. [...]

"Anonymous FTP server" was pretty clear to some of us.  For others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol#Anonymous_FTP

Message 3 of 4
sakols
Aspirant

All, Im using a C6220, but I dont think my quesiton is limited to that device.  Let me restate again:

I want to FTP  (from my surveilance camera) to a NON password protected folder on my USB drive connected to readyshare.   I have uploaded a screen shot of the settings for this on the Netgear control panel.  

1) if you check to Admin password protect FTP, then what does it mean to apply no password to the subfolders -  look at what I have circled in the attached screen shot.

If FTP is PW protected, then is it even possilbe to have an unprotected sub folder, as the console suggests?  Or is this console wrong and mis leading.

2) I have been able to set ftp from my camera to dump clips into the USB parent directory- Rdrive.   I don't what them in wiht every thing else but in a sub directory called surveilance.   I have included this directory in the path name for FTP but I get an error that no such directory exists.  FTP seems to only work with the parent directory.

It woudl be great to hear from somebody who has gone thru setting this up themselves.   Thanks

dan

Model: C6220|DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7