× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: r6400v2 slow wifi

TimRashmawy
Aspirant

r6400v2 slow wifi

I am experiencing very slow wifi speeds from my R6400v2. I have 500mbps download speed and get at least that while plugged into the LAN port on the router, but get much slower over wifi. Even standing right next to the router over the 5ghz channel, I usually get around 150. It rapidly deteriorates the further away I get from the router. I've tried both the 2.4 and 5ghz channels and they are both slow. I am currently about 30 feet away from the router and am getting 60-70mbps. The firmware I am currently using is V1.0.3.66_10.0.50. I know it is old, but with the most current firmware, I was not getting the full speed even plugged into the LAN, so I downgraded to that version per a suggestion on another thread. I factory reset the router a few times and made sure that QoS and Traffic Meter were both off. I am testing the wifi speed with the newest device I own, an iPhone 12. I tested the speed plugged into the LAN port with a HP Elitebook laptop. Also, I just got a new cable modem. It is an Arris SB8200. Plugged directly into the modem, I also get full speed I should be getting. The cable company came out here last week and tested the connection and they were getting the proper speeds as well. I don't know much about networking so I don't know what settings to mess with to try. I would appreciate any help with this. I am about ready to just throw this router out and get something else. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

that R6400 isn't going to give you super fast speeds because its a pretty base model, gigabit device. 

You can try changing what channels you're broadcasting on. 

Or even try a factory reset and reinstall (make sure to leave, qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled). 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

Message 2 of 9
TimRashmawy
Aspirant

I forgot to mention, that this is a relatively new issue I've been dealing with. I used to get excellent wifi speeds from it. I understand that the wifi speeds will be slower than LAN speeds, but I used to get around 450 from wifi anywhere in my house. 

Message 3 of 9

@TimRashmawy wrote:

,,,,I used to get around 450 from wifi anywhere in my house. 

You don't say what your wifi clients are but that smells more like a measurement issue than real wifi speeds.

Many devices won't do 450 Mbps, especially on 2.4 GHz, which is what you are likely to see at 30 feet away. The 60-70 Mbps you  mentioned earlier sounds about right for many clients.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

like @michaelkenward says, i think thats a bit of misunderstanding of wifi. 

The R6400v2 is/was a pretty base model gigabit AC device. It was never the fastest and 5ghz speeds drop off quickly. 

I'd highly doubt the actual throughput was 450mbps anywhere in the home. Maybe ***Maybe*** (big maybe) right next to the router, but not with any distance/obstructions. 

Message 5 of 9
TimRashmawy
Aspirant

The only reason I was testing the speeds is because recently, when downloading a 140mb file, it took more than 30 minutes. It also has been taking a long time for even web pages to load. I don’t particularly care about what my actual wifi speeds are, but it’s just annoying when we can’t watch Netflix without buffering or when I can’t download a relatively small file without it taking a very long time.

Do I just need a new router?
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Do you have IPv6 enabled? Try enabling that and rebooting the router. 

Message 7 of 9
TimRashmawy
Aspirant

Yes it is enabled. I don’t know much about networking though. Are there any particular settings I should be looking for? And when you say reboot, you just mean unplug it for a while? Or reset it to factory?
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

No. was just curious because the some devices on the newer firmware have been having issues with IPv6. The older firmware should still be fine. 

Might be worth trying the newer firmware with IPv6 enabled (if you didn't have it before). 

Just make a backup in case it doesnt help. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7