× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Server not rechable

mautalent09
Aspirant

DHCP Server not rechable

Greetings,

I am currently using 3x S3300-52X switches for 3 racks with multiple servers. I have set up and configured each switch individualy and followed the following walkthrough for configuring DHCP:

https://kb.netgear.com/21986/How-do-I-enable-a-DHCP-L2-relay-using-the-web-interface-on-my-managed-s...

DHCP worked, and it was running, however now all the switches are unable to connect to DHCP and I get errors like:

An error occurred while renewing interface Host Team : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

I have verified the DHCP server is up and running, and I am assuming it has something to do with the Remote ID section for option 82 configuration. Each vlan has rmt_id selected, does it have to be something specific? Or, is their anything else i sould be configuring?

Thanks for your time.

Model: S3300-52X (GS752TX)|ProSafe 48 ports stackable smart switches
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DHCP Server not rechable

Hi @mautalent09,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I have verified the DHCP server is up and running, and I am assuming it has something to do with the Remote ID section for option 82 configuration. Each vlan has rmt_id selected, does it have to be something specific? Or, is their anything else i sould be configuring?

The Remote ID String is being used if the Remote ID on the DHCP server you are using is enabled.  If ever the Remote ID is not enabled on the DHCP server, leave the Remote ID String field blank.  

DHCP worked, and it was running, however now all the switches are unable to connect to DHCP and I get errors like:

An error occurred while renewing interface Host Team : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

If ever you are using a Windows Server as your DHCP server (example: Windows Server 2012 R2), kindly check if the firewall (such as software firewall or anti-virus) enabled on the DHCP server.  I suggest you to turn of the firewall. Kindly access the forum link below that I found online and it might help:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28953525/Unable-to-Contact-Your-DHCP-Server-Request-Has-T...

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mautalent09,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The Remote ID String is being used if the Remote ID on the DHCP server you are using is enabled.  If ever the Remote ID is not enabled on the DHCP server, leave the Remote ID String field blank.  

If ever you are using a Windows Server as your DHCP server (example: Windows Server 2012 R2), kindly check if the firewall (such as software firewall or anti-virus) enabled on the DHCP server.  I suggest you to turn of the firewall. Kindly access the forum link below that I found online and it might help:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28953525/Unable-to-Contact-Your-DHCP-Server-Request-Has-T...

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mautalent09,

Just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
mautalent09
Aspirant

Greetings! Sorry for the delayed response. 

I was able to get the DHCP to work by turning of the layer 2 relay, however I will work to use the information about DHCP rmt_id to use that properly.

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements