× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108E-300NAS vs GS108T-200NAS

alienz
Guide

GS108E-300NAS vs GS108T-200NAS

So I'm looking to purchase an 8 port web managed switch that supports vlans and port mirroring, no PoE needed.

Overall these two switches seem to be pretty similar.

GS108Tv2 - GS108T-200NAS

GS108Ev3 - GS108E-300NAS

I tried to do some searching but it looks like the GS108Tv2 has a single PoE port and a few extra features.

That being said, if I'm on a purely Linux environment will I be able to access the web GUI on either of these devices.

Lastly, given my wants/needs, would I be better off going with the GS108Ev3?

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108E-300NAS vs GS108T-200NAS

As a summary, we learned that:

Similarities between the GS108Tv2 and GS108Ev3 switches:

a. Both switches will provide standard 802.1Q VLAN management per port, based on Untagged or Tagged modes, with or without PVID - which correspond to basic Access or Trunk port modes, with or without Native VLAN in other terminologies.

b. Both switches will provide standard Port Mirroring, ingress or egress or both, with multiple source ports and one destination port. When set in Mirroring mode, the destination port cannot work normally, i.e receive and send normal traffic - true for both switches.

Differences between the GS108Tv2 and GS108Ev3 switches:

a. The GS108Ev3 offers HTTP web interface and management, hence no encryption for restricting management access.  On the other hand, the GS108Tv2 offers HTTPS web interface and management, which will be better fit for  application outside of your firewall.

b. The GS108Tv2 can be powered by upstream PoE switch via its port 1 while the GS108Ev3 does not support this.  

c. The GS108Tv2 provide more advance features such as Access Control for security (ACLs) and Differentiated Services (QoS) for packet prioritization will be done at Layer 2/ Layer 3/ Layer 4.  

Credits to @LaurentMa 🙂 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi alienz

Welcome to the community!

Yes, given your requirements you may be better off going with GS108Ev3 Web Managed (Plus) switch.

Both GS108Tv2 Smart Managed and GS108Ev3 Web Managed (Plus) will provide standard 802.1Q VLAN management per port, based on Untagged or Tagged modes, with or without PVID - which correspond to basic Access or Trunk port modes, with or without Native VLAN in other terminologies.

Both switches will provide standard Port Mirroring, ingress or egress or both, with multiple source ports and one destination port. When set in Mirroring mode, the destination port cannot work normally, i.e receive and send normal traffic - true for both switches.

Yes a standard browser from Linux environment should let you access both switch web interfaces (GUI). You will find supported browser versions in each switch datasheet: GS108Ev3 and GS108Tv2. Should you eventually need to emulate those browsers or use a special compatibility mode.

Yes GS108Tv2 will provide more advanced features (Security; QoS), and can be powered by PoE instead of using local power adapter.

Let us know if you have any questions, and please share your impressions when you get your new 8-port switch!

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
alienz
Guide

Thanks much, this was a very detailed and helpful response.

One last question, when you say the destination port in mirroring mode cannot work normally, I assume you mean the host connected to that port would not be able to function properly?

My plan is to stand up a Snort box and connect the sniffing interface to the mirror/SPAN port, I'm assuming this would work with either switch.

Message 3 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi alienz

This is correct, the sniffer can be connected to the mirroring (destination) port on either switch, per design.

If this was a standard host instead, no "normal" Ethernet traffic could be received on that port, given the fact only mirrored ingress or egress traffic is sent to that port.

Good luck with the Snort box project, we hope the NETGEAR switch will be a perfect fit!

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
carrots
Aspirant

Hello! I am also interested in these switches.

I saw you mentioned there was extra security features on the gs108t.

I already read elsewhere that gs108e has basically no way to restrict management of the switch at all. And it's done in plaintext.

I am going to put a switch outside my firewall and I want to restrict management access entirely.

Will gs108t work for me?

Message 5 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi carrots,

Yes, GS108Tv2 will work better than GS108E for you I'm sure.

GS108E offers HTTP web interface and management, hence no encryption for restricting management access.

GS108Tv2 offers HTTPS web interface and management, which will be better fit for your application outside of your firewall.

I hope this helps,

Message 6 of 10
d_rick
Tutor

@LaurentMa wrote:

Hi alienz

Welcome to the community!

Yes, given your requirements you may be better off going with GS108Ev3 Web Managed (Plus) switch.

Both GS108Tv2 Smart Managed and GS108Ev3 Web Managed (Plus) will provide standard 802.1Q VLAN management per port, based on Untagged or Tagged modes, with or without PVID - which correspond to basic Access or Trunk port modes, with or without Native VLAN in other terminologies.

Both switches will provide standard Port Mirroring, ingress or egress or both, with multiple source ports and one destination port. When set in Mirroring mode, the destination port cannot work normally, i.e receive and send normal traffic - true for both switches.

Yes a standard browser from Linux environment should let you access both switch web interfaces (GUI). You will find supported browser versions in each switch datasheet: GS108Ev3 and GS108Tv2. Should you eventually need to emulate those browsers or use a special compatibility mode.

Yes GS108Tv2 will provide more advanced features (Security; QoS), and can be powered by PoE instead of using local power adapter.

Let us know if you have any questions, and please share your impressions when you get your new 8-port switch!

Regards,

Hi Laurent,

I'm in the process of needing another smart switch to pair with my GS716tv2 so that i can fully implement VLAN's. I currently have a GS108 v1, and apparently it does not support them? Between these two models it appears that you are stating they have the same VLAN functionality with no differences, is that correct?

Can you also provide any other details on your other comment:

"Yes GS108Tv2 will provide more advanced features (Security; QoS), and can be powered by PoE instead of using local power adapter."

Message 7 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi d_rick

Are you sure it's GS108v1?    GS108 is Unmanaged Switch hence no real support for 802.1Q VLANs.

If that's the case, I would advise you select GS108Tv2 instead: Product Page and Datasheet.

GS108Tv2 is a Smart Managed switch, consistent with your GS716Tv2 for VLAN configuration.

If you have GS108Tv1 instead (previous version of GS108T Smart Managed switch),no problem, it will support VLANs just fine with your GS716Tv2 as well.

My last comment about GS108Tv2 was about differences with Web Managed (Plus) GS108Ev3 switch:

• GS108Tv2 can be powered by upstream PoE switch  via its port 1
  • As a Smart Managed switch, Access Control for security (ACLs) and Differentiated Services (QoS) for packet prioritization will be done at Layer 2/ Layer 3/ Layer 4 

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Message 8 of 10
d_rick
Tutor

@LaurentMa wrote:

Hi d_rick

Are you sure it's GS108v1?    GS108 is Unmanaged Switch hence no real support for 802.1Q VLANs.

If that's the case, I would advise you select GS108Tv2 instead: Product Page and Datasheet.

GS108Tv2 is a Smart Managed switch, consistent with your GS716Tv2 for VLAN configuration.

If you have GS108Tv1 instead (previous version of GS108T Smart Managed switch),no problem, it will support VLANs just fine with your GS716Tv2 as well.

My last comment about GS108Tv2 was about differences with Web Managed (Plus) GS108Ev3 switch:

• GS108Tv2 can be powered by upstream PoE switch  via its port 1
  • As a Smart Managed switch, Access Control for security (ACLs) and Differentiated Services (QoS) for packet prioritization will be done at Layer 2/ Layer 3/ Layer 4 

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Laurent,

I think mine is just a GS108 (non smart) version, not a T.

I will go ahead and order the GS108Tv2 , thanks for the clarification!

Message 9 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As a summary, we learned that:

Similarities between the GS108Tv2 and GS108Ev3 switches:

a. Both switches will provide standard 802.1Q VLAN management per port, based on Untagged or Tagged modes, with or without PVID - which correspond to basic Access or Trunk port modes, with or without Native VLAN in other terminologies.

b. Both switches will provide standard Port Mirroring, ingress or egress or both, with multiple source ports and one destination port. When set in Mirroring mode, the destination port cannot work normally, i.e receive and send normal traffic - true for both switches.

Differences between the GS108Tv2 and GS108Ev3 switches:

a. The GS108Ev3 offers HTTP web interface and management, hence no encryption for restricting management access.  On the other hand, the GS108Tv2 offers HTTPS web interface and management, which will be better fit for  application outside of your firewall.

b. The GS108Tv2 can be powered by upstream PoE switch via its port 1 while the GS108Ev3 does not support this.  

c. The GS108Tv2 provide more advance features such as Access Control for security (ACLs) and Differentiated Services (QoS) for packet prioritization will be done at Layer 2/ Layer 3/ Layer 4.  

Credits to @LaurentMa 🙂 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements