× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724T: hierarchical Inter-VLAN Routing capabilities?

glueball
Aspirant

GS724T: hierarchical Inter-VLAN Routing capabilities?

Hallo,

I want to put a managed switch with VLANs behind my internet-router and wonder if the GS724T could be the right choice.

The requirement is some hierarchical inter-VLAN-Routing: Lets say I want to have am DMZ (low security), some media servers (medium security) and the office LAN (high security). All VLANs should be able to access the internet, and there is some port forwarding from the internet to some services in the DMZ. The more secure levels (media, office) should have full acces to the DMZ, but not vice versa. (And office accesses media, but not the other way round.) A standard scenario, as I think, which could be realized with another router/firewall between DMZ and the more secure sections.

The question is if the GS724T brings the necessary internal L3-possibilites for the described setup.

Thanks for your answers,

best regards,

Jörg

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
glueball
Aspirant

Re: GS724T: hierarchical Inter-VLAN Routing capabilities?

Hallo DaneA,

thanks for your friendly and detailed answer.

I did some reading and think I need some more sophisticated L3-capabilities like SPI or reflexive ACLs between the VLANs.

It might be easier to take a pure L2 switch and some real router.

Thanks again,

kind regards,

Jörg

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @glueball,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

The GS724Tv4 is categorized as a Layer 2 Smart Switch and not a Fully Managed Switch.  With regard to Inter-VLAN Routing, let me share the articles below and these might help as reference guides:

VLAN Routing on Smart Switches

VLAN Routing on a NETGEAR Smart Switch

NETGEAR Support How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart swi...

The question is if the GS724T brings the necessary internal L3-possibilites for the described setup.

The GS724Tv4 (v = version) has Layer 3 Lite features only.  As reference, kindly check its data sheet here.

If you want a Layer 3 switch, I recommend you the NETGEAR Fully Managed Switches like the M4100 series and M4300 series models.  Kindly check the link below to know more: 

NETGEAR Fully Managed Switches

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@glueball,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further inquiries.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
glueball
Aspirant

Hallo DaneA,

thanks for your friendly and detailed answer.

I did some reading and think I need some more sophisticated L3-capabilities like SPI or reflexive ACLs between the VLANs.

It might be easier to take a pure L2 switch and some real router.

Thanks again,

kind regards,

Jörg

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements