× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSS116E unable to upgrade firmware from 1.0.0 to any available firmware

refraingott
Aspirant

GSS116E unable to upgrade firmware from 1.0.0 to any available firmware

Hello,

I was trying to update my Netgear GSS116E switch from firmware version V1.0.0.0 to the current version (as of this time, this seems to be V1.6.0.5).

Since the support pages already stated that updating via the Web interface wouldn't work, I installed the current version of the ProSafe Plus utility (2.7.2) and tried upgrading with this version. 
Unfortunately, that did not succeed, I always ended up with a tftp timeout error. I tried upgrading to firmware versions V1.0.0.6 and V1.0.0.5, which are still downloadable on the support page (always rebooting the switch in between via the web GUI), but always got the same result ending with a tftp error 

Since upgrading via the web gui is - as I've already read before - also impossible ("invald firmware version") for all versions available, I doubt whether upgrading from version V1.0.0.0 .0to any version above V1.0.0.2 is possible at all.

From what I read in other threads, the upgrade from V1.0.0.0 to V1.0.0.2 was still possible via webgui, which seems to me as the only way to upgrade the boot loader to version 1.0.0.5. 

On my first try, the PC running ProSafe Plus was not attached directly to the GSS116E, but to a GSS108E attached to the GSS116E. Plugging the PC directly to the GSS116E didn't change anything, though.

I also successfully upgraded said GSS108E from firmware 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.10 without any problems 5 minutes before trying to upgrade the GSS116.

If my presumption is correct: would it still be possible to obtain firmware V1.0.0.2 and thus being able to update to update to the boot loader 1.0.0.5?

Kind regards,

refraingott

netgear_status.PNGnetgear_info.PNGnetgear_before_1605.PNGnetgear_while_1605.PNGnetgear_after_1605.PNG

Model: GSS116E|ProSafe 16 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
refraingott
Aspirant

Re: GSS116E unable to upgrade firmware from 1.0.0 to any available firmware

Hi JohnCarloV,

I've actually read that post before I created mine, and I also tried using netsh/arp to add the IP of the switch to my arp table, but that didn't change a thing, sorry I didn't mention it.

What I actually did try after re-.reading the post you mentioned was to push the firmware from a Raspberry Pi3 running Linux to the switch via tftp.

The Linux box managed to send the whole file, however it took 2 firmware resets and a couple of power cycles to make the switch's GUI reappear again afterwards.

Nevertheless, it was a success though, firmware 1.6.05 had been installed, and the GUI asked immediately for the 1.0.0.5 boot loader file, which is now also successfully installed.

So, in my case, the solution was just not to use ProSafe, but to use a command line tftp client instead, as @JohnRoe had suggested in his post..

Case closed, thank you and thanks to @JohnRoe.

Regards,

refraingott

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi refraingott,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that this could be a known issue. May you be able to try the steps on these thread? By adding the IP and MAC address of your PC to the ARP table so that it could be known inside the network.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
refraingott
Aspirant

Hi JohnCarloV,

I've actually read that post before I created mine, and I also tried using netsh/arp to add the IP of the switch to my arp table, but that didn't change a thing, sorry I didn't mention it.

What I actually did try after re-.reading the post you mentioned was to push the firmware from a Raspberry Pi3 running Linux to the switch via tftp.

The Linux box managed to send the whole file, however it took 2 firmware resets and a couple of power cycles to make the switch's GUI reappear again afterwards.

Nevertheless, it was a success though, firmware 1.6.05 had been installed, and the GUI asked immediately for the 1.0.0.5 boot loader file, which is now also successfully installed.

So, in my case, the solution was just not to use ProSafe, but to use a command line tftp client instead, as @JohnRoe had suggested in his post..

Case closed, thank you and thanks to @JohnRoe.

Regards,

refraingott

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements