× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch web gui

tonynsx
Luminary

Switch web gui

I have a XS728T and GS724TS.  I noticed that the web gui for the GS724TS is "old fashioned" compared to the XS728T.  I have to put my browser on compatability mode just so I can view the GS724TS web gui.  I'm using the same browser for both switches.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Switch web gui

Hi @tonynsx,

I have a XS728T and GS724TS.  I noticed that the web gui for the GS724TS is "old fashioned" compared to the XS728T.  I have to put my browser on compatability mode just so I can view the GS724TS web gui.  I'm using the same browser for both switches.

The GS724TS switch is already EoL (End of Life).  There will be no future fix or new firmware that will be released since this switch has been discontinued. 

Also, I have one switch on VLAN 2, and another switch on VLAN 3.  What would happen if I connect a dummy switch to these two switches?  How would the dummy switch know which VLAN to use?  Would it be random?

It depends on the ASIC (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit) of the switch, and the switch itself. New switches (with E such as GS108Ev3) will likely pass through (based on MAC table). On older, non-E switches (unmanaged switches), it would fail CRC and drop the packet. E-switches without VLANs may still be aware of VLANs and be able to pass them through. 

It is advisable that you should not deploy an 802.1Q unaware switch in a network wherein you have expectation of persevering 802.1Q traffic.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
tonynsx
Luminary

Also, I have one switch on VLAN 2, and another switch on VLAN 3.  What would happen if I connect a dummy switch to these two switches?  How would the dummy switch know which VLAN to use?  Would it be random?

Message 2 of 4
tonynsx
Luminary

Anyone?

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @tonynsx,

The GS724TS switch is already EoL (End of Life).  There will be no future fix or new firmware that will be released since this switch has been discontinued. 

It depends on the ASIC (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit) of the switch, and the switch itself. New switches (with E such as GS108Ev3) will likely pass through (based on MAC table). On older, non-E switches (unmanaged switches), it would fail CRC and drop the packet. E-switches without VLANs may still be aware of VLANs and be able to pass them through. 

It is advisable that you should not deploy an 802.1Q unaware switch in a network wherein you have expectation of persevering 802.1Q traffic.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements