× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS728T and Multicast

DRUMDUDESAN
Aspirant

XS728T and Multicast

Hi,

I need to know if the model XS728T supports and handle true multicast traffic?

Some lower end switches convert multicast traffic to broadcasts.

If not which model of switch that has 24 ports and 10GBase-T supports true multicast traffic.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart/XS728T.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#tab-fea...

I see from here these specs' but I am not certain from these features.

• Multicast groups: 512
  • Broadcast, multicast, unknown unicast storm control
  • Block unknown multicast
  • Multicast VLAN Registration (MVR): XS708T/XS716T: Yes ----- XS728T/XS748T: No
  • Broadcast, multicast, unknown unicast storm control

If so what command line and/or GUI settings would I have to change to ensure this is the case.

Thanks

Jeff

Model: XS728T|ProSAFE 28-port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: XS728T and Multicast

Hi Jeff

In a M4300 stack, firmware upgrade can be differed, but a maintenance window will be required as the whole stack must reboot at some point.

I mean that new firmware can be imported into the master switch, and chosen as new image <<across the stack>>.

But the upgrade itself requires a reboot.

In your second scenario, if one switch in the stack gets upgraded separately, it won't join the stack back, due to code mismatch.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jeff

Welcome back to the Community!

Yes, our 10G Smart Managed Switch XS728T is perfectly capable of line-rate, true multicast traffic - at Layer 2, so using IGMP Snooping for forwarding multicast packets to interested receivers. Smart Managed switches come with intuitive Web GUI only for configuration, so under Switching \ Multicast at the top and IGMP Snooping on the left, you just need to:

• Enable Admin Mode for IGMP Snooping Configuration
  • Enable all other IGMP functions there, including Proxy Querier mode so that you DON'T need external Multicast router on your network
  • In Interface Configuration on the left, you finally need to enable IGMP Snooping Admin Mode and Fast Leave and Proxy Querier on all physical interfaces you need.

I can also advise our great M4300 switch series, there is one half-width model called M4300-24X with exactly 24 x 10GBASE-T ports as well. This is upper end series, with advanced Layer 3 capabilities and stacking - NETGEAR top of the line, but still very cost effective. M4300 series models are the only ones coming with all IGMP Snooping, IGMP Querier, IGMP Fast Leave and Block Unknown Multicast Traffic settings enabled by default on VLAN 1, directly out of the box. With all ports natively in VLAN 1 (Management VLAN), you don't need any configuration for line-rate Multicast forwarding at Layer 2. Next, M4300 models can also route Multicast packets across different subnets, using PIM-routing, itself associated with static routes or OSPF.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
DRUMDUDESAN
Aspirant

Great, thanks for the well explained explanation. I am planning to use these switches for VMware 6.5 vSAN. There is no reason to stack for this scenario as they will be dedicated to VMware and vSAN traffic.

Jeff

Message 3 of 5
DRUMDUDESAN
Aspirant

Hi,

One more question.

If I stack these switches and require a firmware update:

- will the whole stack reboot?

- or can I patch/firmware one switch at a time and reboot individually?

Thanks

Jeff

Message 4 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jeff

In a M4300 stack, firmware upgrade can be differed, but a maintenance window will be required as the whole stack must reboot at some point.

I mean that new firmware can be imported into the master switch, and chosen as new image <<across the stack>>.

But the upgrade itself requires a reboot.

In your second scenario, if one switch in the stack gets upgraded separately, it won't join the stack back, due to code mismatch.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements