× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724TPP and AP issue

Michelle911
Aspirant

GS724TPP and AP issue

I have two EnGenius EWS377AP's connected to the GS724TPP switch using POE 802.3at. I am using VLAN's, but not a management VLAN and no issues there.

I cannot ping or log in to either one from the LAN. I can only ping or log in from wifi to whichever one the device is connected to. If I have the AP's plugged in to an external source, ping and log in works from any device. Is this expected behavior?

Model: GS724TPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS724TPP and AP issue

Possible workaround to the issue - I suspect the AP does go all tagged on PoE why ever (compatibility to the makers wireless controller?) - would be to change the "base VLAN" from untaged to tagged for both the AP management and the SSID assigned on both ends.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

What do we know on your AP? There is certainly soething like a mangement or admin interface in place - if you can ping it from from a flat network, you should consider to run the VLAN for the administration as untaggd on the switch, or make the admin interface on the switches listen to the taged VLAN.

Not a switch issue at all... 

Message 2 of 6
Michelle911
Aspirant

I have yet not set a VLAN management. The port the AP is connected to is set for Admin mode and has 4 tagged VLAN's for network segmenting only and has a PVID of 1. The AP is on the same subnet as the switch. The AP is working as it should and handing out the right addresses per SSID's. I just can't log in to it unless connected to one of the SSID's.

I use the same port whether or not I'm using an external power pack or the POE. I can ping the AP when using the external power, but not when using only POE.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Sorry @Michelle911 ...

@Michelle911 wrote:

I use the same port whether or not I'm using an external power pack or the POE. I can ping the AP when using the external power, but not when using only POE.

...now I understand the second part of the initial message, too.

Must admit - completely buffed. As any other "...I am using VLAN's, but not a management VLAN and no issues there. ..." communication seems to be workable either way - have you talked to the AP maker already? 

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Possible workaround to the issue - I suspect the AP does go all tagged on PoE why ever (compatibility to the makers wireless controller?) - would be to change the "base VLAN" from untaged to tagged for both the AP management and the SSID assigned on both ends.

Message 5 of 6
Michelle911
Aspirant

I went ahead and assigned a separate "Management VLAN" just for the network equipment, which is probably best anyway, and now I can access it. I find it odd that I have to. Thanks for the replies.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements