× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR GS728TP-200NAS Smart Managed Pro PoE Switch used purchase registration

Rednose
Aspirant

NETGEAR GS728TP-200NAS Smart Managed Pro PoE Switch used purchase registration

Hello everyone

I am a long term user of Netgear products and also recommend them to my friends and customers. I decided to purchase some used Smart Managed Pro POE Switches from ebay. After purchasing and doing research, I saw complaints relative to unlocking used netgear switches.

In particular, the NETGEAR GS728TP-200NAS Smart Managed Pro PoE Switch is one of them I purchased. I can understand your reasons for wanting registration, however, bare in mind your products will will change ownership over time and so should make an easy way for used switches to be transferred without issues.

I onced had an experience with Roqos security appliances and after sending my ebay purchase details, they quickly transferred the ownership. I hope netgear will be smoothe transittion as well.

Please advise the process to get the registration done without issues.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: NETGEAR GS728TP-200NAS Smart Managed Pro PoE Switch used purchase registration

Well, it's a problem with various extents.

I guess Netgear want to avoid scratch re-registrations of pre-used/pre-registered devices to extend support and restart the warranty terms.

When looking into different legislation - say for example the EU - warranty on newer hardware must be transferable (the legal binding one on the 6 resp. 24 months!). What Netgear does give on top as the factory "warranty" (support, extended hardware warranty) it's their own freedom if they are willing to transfer this, or not.

Depending on the view, not offering the transfer option, might be even illegal.

@YeZ work for you...

Message 2 of 6
Rednose
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I dont think its a warrany issue at all. I think its more a marketing tactic more than anything else. 

The way around that is simply leave all the features enabled in the switch rather than forcing people to have to register to access them.

All I need is to be able to access the features of the switch and I think that is the case of 99% of users.

Netgear, please show some concern for the people that choose to use your equipment. A simple copy of the used purchase receipt and they should reopen the features to the new user. 

Thnk about this, even for a company, you think they are going to waste time to go and deregister a switch, No. 

Give second use people a chance too.

Message 3 of 6
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Please PM me your product label showing the serial number and I can ask the team to de-register the previous one and allow you to register it. Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

There are two items adding additional complications:

The registration vs. the limited feature availability which is of course not acceptable to be locked to a 3rd party account, and eg. Audio licenses bought and sold with the switch (as bound to the switch!).
Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Rednose wrote:

The way around that is simply leave all the features enabled in the switch rather than forcing people to have to register to access them.

If properly reset, this information bit is lost. 8-/

@Rednose wrote:

All I need is to be able to access the features of the switch and I think that is the case of 99% of users.

This is the show stopper currently for the newer switches with the mandatory registration feature - obvious an incompatibly with the absence of an official de-register and/or re-register capability for second hand units.

@YeZ Thank you for the courtesy assistance.

Fact is this should not be required, user self-service is required for re-registration (for the sake with a notification to the initial registrant "The device xyz was re-registered again under a different account. Please contact Netgear support in case this was not expected." 

The very same applies to the availability for the Letter of Volatility (LoV) which must be available without any courtesy service, without wasting time and bandwidth in the community.

-Kurt 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements