× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

¿ VLAN Path between Cablemodem (Unitymedia Connect Box) and Router (Fritz! Box 7590) ?

_Karl_
Aspirant

¿ VLAN Path between Cablemodem (Unitymedia Connect Box) and Router (Fritz! Box 7590) ?

Hello,
we operate the Fritz! Box 7590 and the Vodafone cable modem (Unitymedia) Connect Box so that the Fritz! Box is located where our telephone connection was, so that ISDN can be made available from there and WLAN has a good start-location,
The Vodafone cable modem (Unitymedia) Connect Box, on the other hand, is located in an HF-proof switch cabinet and is connected via fiber optics.

The Vodafone cable modem (Unitymedia) Connect Box is in bridge mode, in order to be really just a modem and so the FritzBox is really the device that is assigned our static IP4 number by Vodafone.

It has been working like this for many years, it was basicly still installed in the days of the Bundespost and the HF-tight outer box in which the cable modem is located also came from them.

When Unitymedia was taken over by Vodafone, a new cable modem came along and with it the number of packet losses skyrocketed. (That Problem is solved, but the Idea of a VLAN (transporting Modem2Router-Connection and LAN) passing the optical fiber remails.)

In order to be able to measure for myself whether it is due to the complex technology between the cable modem and the FritzBox (Ethernet cable, 10Mbite / sec hub with AUI port, AUI cable, fiber optic cable, 10Mbit / sec media converter, Ethernet cable) I wanted to turn this route into VLAN on top of that in order to have a Netgear Ethernet Smart Switch (GS108Tv3) on the outside and one on the inside and thus to be able to test the fiber optic link for possible packet losses in a virtual LAN branch separate from the cable modem connection and to ensure that the cable modem 100Mbit / sec or 1GBit / sec as a counterpart and not the packet losses from attempts by the cable modem to communicate with the 10Mbit / sec hub at a higher bit rate.

Is a VLAN path in between the connection of "FritzBox7590" and "Connect Box in bridge mode" possible and if so: how?
My preliminary attempt with only one Smart Switch (GS108Tv3) and a VLAN set up there (one VLAN ID for the administration branch of the GS108Tv3, another VLAN ID for those 2 ports of the connection between the cable modem and FritzBox) through which the packets should run between FritzBox and cable modem failed, but why. 

Many many thanks

Karl
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: ¿ VLAN Path between Cablemodem (Unitymedia Connect Box) and Router (Fritz! Box 7590) ?

Hello Karl,

AUI - cool, feels like lte 1970ties when i was young 8-)

A little bit unclear what you are behind a VLAN - is the plan to run two networks over one fiber (?) or copper (?) link?

Grüsse

-Kurt

Message 2 of 12
_Karl_
Aspirant

Re: ¿ VLAN Path between Cablemodem (Unitymedia Connect Box) and Router (Fritz! Box 7590) ?

Yes, i plan to run two (or more) Networks over the Optical Fiber,

and it would be extremely difficult to install a second fiber optic cable.

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@_Karl_ wrote:

Is a VLAN path in between the connection of "FritzBox7590" and "Connect Box in bridge mode" possible and if so: how?
My preliminary attempt with only one Smart Switch (GS108Tv3) and a VLAN set up there (one VLAN ID for the administration branch of the GS108Tv3, another VLAN ID for those 2 ports of the connection between the cable modem and FritzBox) through which the packets should run between FritzBox and cable modem failed, but why. 

Still digging in the dark, leaving alone where and how ths devices mentioned are conneced to a fiber.

Trying to sketch a picture here. 

If you intend to run multiple networks over this fiber connection (wild guess some copper<->fiber converters are in the game), the fiber has to carry two networks in the from of two VLANs (so called a trunk), where either both VLANs are tagged, or one is untagged, and the other one is tagged. Guessing again this is currently done by this single GS108Tv3.For the "WAN" connection path, two ports configured like  VLAN A untagged/PVID A, optional one for the management network VLAN B/PVID B if desired.

Now on the other side of this fiber link (or copper after another converter), the trunk must be "split" for the two networks again. So here anther switch is required. On one hand a port configured as the trunk (similar to the other end), and one port for each network (like one for VLAN A untagged/PVID A, and one for VLAN B/PVID B)

Message 4 of 12
_Karl_
Aspirant

As it is:

LAN
  |
FritzBox as Router, that gets the IP4 assigned by the Internetprovider
  |
Mediaconverter
  |
Optical Fiber
  |
Mediaconverter
  |
Cablemodem
  |
Internet

As it is shall grow

LAN__________________________________________________________
  |                                                                                                                         |
FritzBox as Router, that gets the IP4 assigned by the Internetprovider              |
  |         ________________________________________________________|
  | Vm  | Vl 
GS108Tv3 No2
  |Trunk
Mediaconverter
  |
Optical Fiber
  |
Mediaconverter
  |Trunk
GS108Tv3 No1
  | Vm  | Vl
  |        |_________________LAN 

|         
Cablemodem
  |
Internet

The Test-Step that failed, showing the Problem that first has to be solved

|                                                                                                                         |
FritzBox as Router, that gets the IP4 assigned by the Internetprovider              |
  |         ________________________________________________________|
  | Vm  | Vl 
GS108Tv3 No1
  | Vm
Mediaconverter
  |
Optical Fiber
  |
Mediaconverter
  |
  |         
Cablemodem
  |
Internet

Vm and Vl stands for the VLANs:
Vm =  modem-router connection
Vl  = local, including administartion of the GS108Tv3

My Guess is that the Cablemodem already uses a VLAN-ID
and so the connection is dropped, because i don't know whats
the Number and so the GS108Tv3 was not assigned to it.

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Keep the Vm VLAN untagged on the trunk port(s) and on the "access" port(s).

Unlikely the Internet does come tagged from the modem, for IPTV and telephony this might be different. A potential internet VLAN config should be visible in the Fritz config in case. To figure out a potential tagged VLAN usage for the Unitymedia cablemodem, look into a Unitymedia customer forum....

How are the VLANs and the ports to connect the cable modem on the test setup (and the final with two switches) configured?

Message 6 of 12
_Karl_
Aspirant

VLAN-Name: Management VLAN
VLAN-ID 1
Portmitglieder 1, 5, genehmigt

Porttyp General
Zugriffsport
QoS-Profil: Data

VLAN-Name: Kabelmodem
VLAN-ID 200
Portmitglieder 3, 7, 8 ,genehmigt
Porttyp General
Zugriffsport
QoS-Profil: Voice QOS:7

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Ok, this would make up two individual networks, VLAN 1 and VLAN 200. VLAN 200 can only work is the PVID on these access ports would be set to PVID 200. Guessing the VLAN 1 access ports are set to PVID 1 by default.

As is, there is nothing which could make up a trunk for connecting two switches with a trunk line. For the trunk I suggest to configure either both VLANs as tagged, or keep the primary management VLAN untagged:

Switch 1, trunk port Tx: 

VLAN 1, [U]ntagged, PVID 1
VLAN 200, [T]agged, - 

Switch 2, trunk port Ty: 

VLAN 1, [U]ntagged, PVID 1
VLAN 200, [T]agged, - 

Message 8 of 12
_Karl_
Aspirant

I did not reach the Point where i can try trunk,
i first have ti figure out, how/if i can have sucessfully 2 completly seperated Networks 
on one GS108Tv3 before i buy the second one or other hardware.

So the Start-Question is: how can i set up the GS108Tv3
so that the second Network will behave as needed,
in betwen Cablemodem and Router?

A stupid switch means no Problem betwen Cablemodem and Router. So how can second Network on the GS108Tv3 behave as good as that?

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

To make the VLAN 200 network working so the data can flow cable modem <-> switch <-> router over two access VLAN 200 untagged ports, the PVID for these ports must be set to PVID 200, too.  See the reply from above.

PS. Du kanst mich gerne auch in Deutsch anschreiben wenn das die Sache vereinfacht.

Message 10 of 12
_Karl_
Aspirant

How is this done (setting the PID)?
I do not see this in the App of the Switch.

(And i wish i could switch the GS108Tv3 to be administered local (webserver on the GS108Tv3) instead of via the App, that surely has to contact a server somewhere in the WordWideWeb, as well as the GS108Tv3, has to do, for that concept.)

As i had 10MBit/sec issues with other Hardware, i checked, if taking care about that would help. It was not the Answer.

|                                                                                                                          |
FritzBox as Router, that gets the IP4 assigned by the Internetprovider             |
|          ________________________________________________________|
| Vm   | Vl
GS108Tv3
| Vm
|
| 100MBit/sec
|
WLINX SW-008CM (unmanaged 8 Port 10/100Mbps N-way Switch)
|
| 10MBit/sec
|
MICROSENS Media Converter FL-TP
|
Optical Fiber 10BASE-FL (10MBit/sec)
|
CentreCOM MX40F/ST FIBER OPTIC TRANCEIVER
|
AUI-Cable (10MBit/sec)
|
NETGEAR EN108 (Hub with 10Base-T, AUI, 10Base2)
|
| 10MBit/sec
|
Unitymedia Connect Box (Cablemodem) in Bridemode
|
Internet

Vm and Vl stands for the VLANs:
Vm = modem-router connection
Vl = local, including administartion of the GS108Tv3

The 10MBit/sec components are still from the time when our internet connection was via 1MBit/sec data radio link and the in-house networking, conveniently, via 10base2. We didn't have DSL in this neighborhood back then.

Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@_Karl_ wrote:

How is this done (setting the PID)?
I do not see this in the App of the Switch.

On the Insight App, if a VLAN membership is set to untagged (and only on one VLAN!) the SSID should be set correct.

@_Karl_ wrote:

And i wish i could switch the GS108Tv3 to be administered local (webserver on the GS108Tv3) instead of via the App, that surely has to contact a server somewhere in the WordWideWeb, as well as the GS108Tv3, has to do, for that concept.

Technically, there is nothing stopping us, leaving alone that the switch won't give access to the local config as log as it's in Insight mode.

The challenge is that the switch with it's in-band management does sit in the link between the Modem and the WAN/Internet interface of the router. Usually, a modem does issue only one public or CGN (garrier grade NAT) IP address - this is intended for the router Internet interface in fact. This probably the reason why you experience nothing works with the switch in the line! The switch will fetch the one and only IP address available on that network, the router won't get one.

The usual trick is to put another private network on that same logical link, with a static IP on the switch, ideally from the RFC1918 Private Address range - use a diferent one than in use for your LAN and the guest network on the Fritz. If the router is not to picky (security appliances require a config to let them know that other IP subnet exists on the WAN link), you shuld be able to reach that switch address fro the LAN over the router.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements