× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is the result of selecting "DHCP" mode for JGS524PE ?

cybr-g
Aspirant

What is the result of selecting "DHCP" mode for JGS524PE ?

Hi, the JGS524PE has a "DHCP" option that can be activated of disabled.

But the documentation does not explain much more on the result of this activation.

More precisely I would like to know when the "DHCP" option is activated, does it activate a DCHP server on the JGS524PE or on the contrary, it makes the JGS524PE ask its IP to the DHCP server of the network ?

I think the way the option is presented is very obscure for new customers like me.

I have put a screenshot of the config page illustrating the option menu

Model: JGS524PE|ProSafe Plus 24 ports switch with PoE
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: What is the result of selecting "DHCP" mode for JGS524PE ?

Quickly fly over the fine documentation Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches User Manual valod for Models GS105Ev2 GS105PE GS108Ev3 ... starting from p.15 - it's always about the IP config assigned to the switch by it's DHCP client, served from a DHCP server on the network.

No Smart Managed Plus or Smart Managed Pro switch does contain a DHCP server for one or multiple VLANs.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Quickly fly over the fine documentation Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches User Manual valod for Models GS105Ev2 GS105PE GS108Ev3 ... starting from p.15 - it's always about the IP config assigned to the switch by it's DHCP client, served from a DHCP server on the network.

No Smart Managed Plus or Smart Managed Pro switch does contain a DHCP server for one or multiple VLANs.

Message 2 of 4
cybr-g
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer.

I was confused by the default 192.168.0.239 configuration IP.

This IP changes accordingly after network DHCP configuration or user static IP configuration.

Model: JGS524PE|ProSafe Plus 24 ports switch with PoE
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@cybr-g wrote:

I was confused by the default 192.168.0.239 configuration IP.

This IP changes accordingly after network DHCP configuration or user static IP configuration.

The default is DHCP, in case the DHCP request is not honoured, the switch does fall-back to the 192.168.0.239/24 address. This can be useful for an initial config of a switch purely standalone and connected to a computer.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements