× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 Disconnects/Freezes with 40-50% Network usage

Indecl
Aspirant

A6210 Disconnects/Freezes with 40-50% Network usage

I have just returned home from a 6 month stay overseas. After turning my PC back on and letting windows do it's forced updates, I am now having an issue where the Network will drop and reconnect itself. At first I thought it was my USB drivers, because I could hear the disconnect and reconnect sound when it did so. None of my other devices were disconnecting during this issue, and reinstalling them did not solve my problem.

Then I proceeded to make sure my Genie and Wireless adapter firmware was up to date, which it now is. The problem still persists. I also used the standard answer to these problems and disabled all power saving options from the USB's and well as the Wireless adapter as explained here; https://kb.netgear.com/23352/A6200-A6210-WNDA3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermittently-disconnects

While trying to figure out what is happening, I noticed that if I were to initiate a task that would bump my Network usage to 40%+ on my Task Manager, I would suddenly lose any ability to do anything related to the internet. Chrome won't load, videos won't play, games won't load, Discord will get a 5000+ ping. Achieving that threshold happened with a task as simple as installing a game from steam, nothing else. As soon as that task was done, if it didn't straight up disconnect me from the network before finishing, everything would return to normal operation. Reinstalling Borderlands 3 took almost a full day, with 9 instances of disconnecting while attempting to do so.

I will also note that I have the same model adapter on a second PC, and although I have not gone this far into diagnosing with it, it has the same issue of randomly disconnecting itself only that one does not see to like reconnecting automatically. My main PC, where I have noticed the things above, has about a 50/50 shot of reconnecting itself or I have to unplug and replug in the adapter to get my network back.

I've also checked my modem/router as it's a C7100V and everything seems to be up to date and functioning normally. When I have this issue, I am able to access my phones wifi like normal so it's exclusively these PC's and this adapter. What in the world is going on?

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

try this. 

Open your services menu

Find NetgearSwitchUSB or RunSwUSB 

Right click and click Stop

Right click and select Properties

Under Startup Type select Disabled

This service won't be on next time you start your computer

Message 2 of 6
Indecl
Aspirant

Ok, I have switched it to disabled, what purpose might this serve?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

sometimes you see it get stuck or 2 services running at the same time. thats when you see that spike in usage. 

did you install the stand-alone driver or the utliity? 

I've also seen some have better luck with the stand alone driver. 

Message 4 of 6
Indecl
Aspirant

Just did a reboot and started a game download to test it. The Network usage is still 40-50%, and i'm still struggling to load certain things. There are now some times where it will drop below 35% and things will seem to load in that window, but above that isn't much difference. I was able to open a browser, but going to google for example was a slow load, and youtube just won't load at all. I was also able to get a web game to launch so it has gotten better, just not completely fixed.

The game download hasn't been going long enough to see if the internet will drop, i'll have to update this if/as it happens. I downloaded the Utility, should I try installing the stand alone anyways or is it too late?

Message 5 of 6
philameena
Aspirant

I've been getting something quite similar for a few months now.

My Wifi via A6210 on my Windows 10 PC works quite happily until any other device in the house starts doing anything with raised network activity... XBox, Laptop, Phone.... then the A6210 loses connection until the other device is turned off.

I actually own 2 x A6210s as I used to use one on another PC, so I've tried both and they both do it. So its definitely the A6210 causing it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7