× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 Driver problem - win 7 freezes

AndrewF80
Aspirant

A6210 Driver problem - win 7 freezes

Hey all. Just wanted to let you know I've been experiencing a problem with the A6210 adapter and the latest version of the driver on Win7 Pro 64bit. 

I had found that when using driver version 5.1.22.0, my PC would freeze up and become unresponsive when I tried to copy files across the WLAN. There was never anything in the event log, nor was I able to find any netgear logs. I rolled back to version 5.1.15.1003 and things are working much better for me now.

I don't need any help, but I did spend some time trying to figure this out myself so am posting this in the hope that it can help someone else who is experiencing the same issues.

I was also noticing that upon start up, sometimes the device would show an error in device manager, stating that it could not start. I hope that this driver change resolves that issue as well. But it will take some more testing.

Cheers

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3
AndrewF80
Aspirant

Hi All

So rolling back the driver didn't help after all. The freezes seem less frequent, but every night when I run my photo backup to a network share, my PC freezes. The device was also still unable to start after these freezes.

Running Windows 7 x64. 

Have reverted to an old Belkin adapter which is working perfectly, albeit slower. If anyone ever happens to find a solution to this problem, let me know.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 2 of 3
AndrewF80
Aspirant

Saga continues. I'm too stubborn to just go and buy another adapter so I persist with this one.

The latest is I tried updating all the drivers for my motherboard that I thought could be relevant. That is, chipset, and both USB controller drivers. Amazingly, I thought this had resolved the problems. I stress tested the connection using LanSpeedTest and running my backups over the LAN. No crashes and really good performance. I was so happy.

After a few days, the crashes came back again. 

I'm testing it on another computer, and it seems to be fine on that one. It's also win 7 64bit but obviously there is something else that's going on that's causing it to crash my original PC. 

Are there any logs I can check? It's not even a BSOD so I can't check the crash dump file. The PC just freezes solid. Waiting does nothing. Only a hard reboot brings it back to life.

It's so painful!!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7