× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A6210 not showing 5ghz band

astsam
Novice

Netgear A6210 not showing 5ghz band

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk to make use of the high speed 5ghz band, only to find out that my usb adapter (A6210) is unable to view it as an available network.
I can connect to the 2.4ghz band perfectly fine ( averages about 165mbit/s), but the 5ghz is nowhere to be found.

I tried updating the genie software, uninstalling and re-installing the software and the drivers without success. I also contacted live support but was quickly turned down since apparently my 90 day support expired 4 days ago.

Has anybody had a similar experience with this adapter? The only reason I purchased the nighthawk was for its raving reviews and coverage, which my a6210 cannot utilize.

In comparison, my Macbook air connects from the same exact distance to the router's 5ghz band with a perfect signal.

I am using Windows 7 professional, and the distance between usb adapter and router is aprox. 10 feet, with a dry wall in between.
When I switch the device's properties in windows control panel from 2.4 and 5ghz bands to only show 5ghz bands, there are no connections available.

Is it possible that there is a hardware problem with the 5ghz band?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Netgear A6210 not showing 5ghz band

Have you tried the driver only installation and then using the typical windows control of the adapter.

Look in the adapter settings for wireless mode see if A is selected it should be. I don't have this adapter so I can't be sure what you'll find.
Message 2 of 4
astsam
Novice

Thank you for your help Searay.
I tried both your recommendations, but unfortunately the problem persisted, 5ghz was nowhere to be found.

After browsing the internet for people with a similar problem, I finally found the solution to my issue.
I had to switch the channel on the 5ghz band on the R7000 router to a lower channel (in my case, ch48). Anything over 149 was invisible to the a6200 adapter (altho all my other wireless devices could connect perfectly fine).

I can finally connect my desktop to my router properly, with the connection achieving 867mbit on a permanent basis.

I hope this helps anyone that has the same problem as me.
Message 3 of 4
xDredgex
Novice

Have you tried forcing the 5GHz as preferred?

OS > Device Manager > Network Adapters > NETGEAR A6210 (double-click) > Advanced > Prefer 5G = Enabled?
After I did this the adapter wouldn't even bother looking for my 2.4 band, it just displayed the 5, connected.

I hope this helps.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7