× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to change open wifi connection to secure

clydebrownjr
Aspirant

unable to change open wifi connection to secure

Have used settings to change to wpa-2 as well as password on a old windows 10 machine.

installed using install genni. I am happy with the speed but living in an apartment every broke ass tenants will be using it. what am I missing.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: unable to change open wifi connection to secure

Not much to go on. 

What NG product are you referring too? 

Use a web browser to access the products web page and make changes there. 

Message 2 of 10
clydebrownjr
Aspirant

Sorry i tthought I included that info. A7000. I have tried installing from the CD. considering a deep dive into registry

Message 3 of 10

@clydebrownjr wrote:

I have tried installing from the CD.

Why? Doesn't it work?

Installing what from CD?

Why go to the CD? It is  bound to be out of date.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

How about a detailed description of what you are trying to achieve?

As @FURRYe38 put it "not much to go on".

Throwaway comments like "considering a deep dive into registry" may mean a lot to you, but everyone else is just left scratching their heads.

Start with a description of what problem you are trying to fix.

Message 4 of 10
clydebrownjr
Aspirant

I am trying to install from cd. The program searches for all available connections repeatedly Finds them and then repeats the process as in a infinite loop. It will not complete the installation. when I have to end the app from task manager. I click the wifi symbol from the task bar and find my connection click it and it works.

PROBLEM- the connection is "open" and when I try to correct it to "secure" from settings the information disappears. and reverts back to "open".

Message 5 of 10
clydebrownjr
Aspirant

im trying to install the wifi dongle A7000 on an old DELL COMPUTER WITH NO  FACTORY INSTALLED WIFI

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try installing from a updated driver download? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/a7000#download

Message 7 of 10

@clydebrownjr wrote:

I am trying to install from cd.

Why would you do that? As explained before:

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.
That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

If you use your CD you can end up with software that is out of date and not suitable for the latest versions of Windows.

When you download from Netgear's support pages, you have an option between something that simply prides the drivers for your USB adapter or a version that comes with a pile of applications that may just get in the way of what you want to do.

PROBLEM- the connection is "open" and when I try to correct it to "secure" from settings the information disappears. and reverts back to "open".

Where do you see these messages?

What does "open" mean? What does this have to do with "broke ass tenants"?

Is this a problem with the adapter, your WiFi or Windows?

Message 8 of 10
clydebrownjr
Aspirant

I thank you for your input. !st i had to install from the cd because My computer had no internet access hence the purchase of A7000.. I was able to get it working well enough to download installation from the web. The same problem persists. 

After the setup app asks for the connection and I respond, the discovery process takes place. all of the available connections are listed but it fails to connect. this process repeats itself infinitely.

I end the process from task manager and simply select the connection I desire from the list in my taskbar. This gives me a connection. But it is unsecured "open". I can use it but obviously this is unacceptable.

Upon reboot this process begins again and I'm back in the infinite loop. I guess what I need to know is how do I get setup to finish setting up. or a method to manually set it up. 

Message 9 of 10

@clydebrownjr wrote:

I thank you for your input. !st i had to install from the cd because My computer had no internet access hence the purchase of A7000..

Download to another device and transfer to a USB stick that will work on the PC. Even a mobile phone can do that.

What is the operating system on this old Dell PC?

This gives me a connection. But it is unsecured "open". I can use it but obviously this is unacceptable.

I still don't know what that means. Where are you reading something that says "open"?

Where does this wifi come from? If it is from a public network system there's not much that you can do at the receiving end. That is down to whoever manages the wifi source.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7