× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frequently need to reboot the switch to re-estblish connection to the router

Margian
Aspirant

Frequently need to reboot the switch to re-estblish connection to the router

Netgear ProSafe (GS116NA) v2 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

I have had the switch installed for some time and I have a small home network with 5 remote ethernet ports in various rooms. However, I have found on quite a few occasions that I lose connection to the router (and therefore the internet) from my Mac and / or from a Wireless Access Point in another room. As soon as I power off / power on the Netgear switch, normal service is resumed. What's the issue and how can I fix it? Can I schedule an overnight reboot? All ideas welcome - thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Frequently need to reboot the switch to re-estblish connection to the router

Hi Margian, 

It indeed appears that the switch causes the intermittent connectivity. Yes, you'll need to contact support for the replacement of the unit. You can refer to this link so that they won't be asking you the same questions again. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Frequently need to reboot the switch to re-estblish connection to the router

Hello Margian, 

Welcome to the community! 

The GS116v2 is only a plug-and-play switch, it does not have a management UI or configuration page. There is no option to set a reboot schedule. Imagine this switch as just a few extra ports of your router. Try and isolate the issue by doing a ping test from the devices connected to the switch, check the LEDs when you lose the connection. Try and connect the power supply into a different plug. If all else fail, I suggest contacting our Support Team for replacement. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 6
Margian
Aspirant

Thanks JohnRo

Since writing I have managed to gather further evidence as follows:

Despite moving my WAP to another Cat 5 socket, I had the same issue as before (but still based on the same port from the switch)

Tonight I had a failure of internet to both the WAP and my hard-wired Apple TV box. Both came up immediatelky when I unplugged and re-plugged the switch

I have now moved the cable connecting the router to the switch from port 1 to port 3 on the router and from port 8 to port 6 on the switch just in case one of the ports was freezing - but I'm beginning to think the switch itself is faulty as I can't imagine how I'd get an intermittent fault on a cable!

Assuming the switch is indeed faulty, do I need to contact support as poer your link below and, if so, what shoudl I tell them (or do they have access to this blog?)

Thanks again!  

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Margian, 

It indeed appears that the switch causes the intermittent connectivity. Yes, you'll need to contact support for the replacement of the unit. You can refer to this link so that they won't be asking you the same questions again. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 6
Margian
Aspirant

Thanks JohnRo

Contacted support and an RMA is on its way after less than 20 minutes on the phone. Assuming it arrives as promised, that's great service - so thanks to all at Netgear!

Ian.

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ian, 

I have checked the record and the device should arrive by tomorrow. 🙂 We are glad to help! 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements