× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105 and Yale Smart Alarm / Swann CCTV DVR

Dan_Bate
Aspirant

GS105 and Yale Smart Alarm / Swann CCTV DVR

Hi,

I have a Netgear GS105 which is connected from my Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 (in Modem Mode) by an ethernet cable. Then into the hub i have connected a Google Wifi Point (Works Fine). I have then tried to connect a Yale Smart Hub 2.0 which shows a connection for 5 seconds and then shows no connection. On the switch there is only one solid green light. Then i have tried to connected a Swann CCTV DVR which again shows only one solid green light and doesn't connect to the internet. 

As a perculiarity if i connected the Yale Smart Hub 2.0 into the Google Wifi it works even through the Google Wifi Point is still connected to the switch. If the Swann CCTV DVR is connected in this way then it doesn't work at all.

Its a nightmare and i have tried all different combinations to try and get it to work. I just want one cable from the Virgin Hub into the Switch and then from the switch into each of my devices. 

Please help

Model: GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS105 and Yale Smart Alarm / Swann CCTV DVR

Hi @Dan_Bate,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since the Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 is in modem mode and the GS105 switch is directly connected to it, you will need a router in between the Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 and GS105 switch.  Otherwise, if its possible to set the Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 to modem/router mode then that would help.  The router will be the DHCP server that will provide local IP address to the Swann CCTV DVR.  

With regard to the connection between the GS105 switch and the Yale Smart Hub 2.0, have you tried other ports of the GS105 switch? Also, try changing the ethernet cable.

Regards, 

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Dan_Bate,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since the Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 is in modem mode and the GS105 switch is directly connected to it, you will need a router in between the Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 and GS105 switch.  Otherwise, if its possible to set the Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 to modem/router mode then that would help.  The router will be the DHCP server that will provide local IP address to the Swann CCTV DVR.  

With regard to the connection between the GS105 switch and the Yale Smart Hub 2.0, have you tried other ports of the GS105 switch? Also, try changing the ethernet cable.

Regards, 

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Dan_Bate wrote:

have a Netgear GS105 which is connected from my Virgin Smart Hub 3.0 (in Modem Mode) by an ethernet cable. Then into the hub i have connected a Google Wifi Point (Works Fine).

There must be no switch in front of the Google WiFi point to the Modem. Check the https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624?hl=en&ref_topic=6243113 -> What not to do (!!!).

You can add a switch like the GS105 _behind_ the Google WiFi device (router or mesh point) -> https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6274262?hl=en&ref_topic=6261534

Not a Netgear switch problem at all.

Message 3 of 4
Dan_Bate
Aspirant

You Hero. Thank you. Myself, Virgin, Swann and Yale have both been stuck on something which as it turns out was simple. I glad i asked before ripping everything back out again.

Thank You

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements