× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 prosafe switch added to network but having trouble adopting previously working unify APs

drfatbuss
Aspirant

GS108 prosafe switch added to network but having trouble adopting previously working unify APs

I recently attempted to remove a netgear r6400 router from my set up as this was redundant and was essentially only serving as a switch and likely creating interference with wifi due to too many devices in the same area.

Current set up has xfinity xfi modem/router. This is currently hooked into the netgear r6400 router (i know this is redundant but was set up this way as the original comcast modem that was connected to the r6400 did not have a router at that time). 

I have 1 ethernet port connected to business workstation, another port connected to unify ap, and a third port connected to an 8 port netgear gig switch in the basement (this is an older device and i do not know the model)

Basement switch is connected to 2 more Unify APs, 2 apple airport expresses, and a Xbox.

although convoluted, everything works. Addressed wifi performance and possible interference by assigning radio channels more appropriately. 

I recently purchased a GS108 prosafe unmanaged 8 port switch with the goal of removing the redundant r6400 router, and moving it to a dead spot in the basement.

however, when i replaced r6400 with the gs108 switch, i could no longer adopt the 3 Unify APs and was no longer able to locate the 2 apple airports. The xbox worked fine and i am presuming the workstation would have been fine too.

I was able to put the r6400 back in place, and reconstitute the entire network.

The unify controller and the airport utility are on an old mac desktop that is connected to the wifi (not ethernet to the router or the switch)

I tried to research issue but got over my head very quickly with regards to opening ports, firewalls, etc. I was hoping for easy plug and play with the unmanaged switch.

any help is greatly appreciated, or should i abandon the new switch and stay with what is working.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108 prosafe switch added to network but having trouble adopting previously working unify APs

No ports to deal with, no firewall or the like in the GS108 - as an unmanaged switch anyway, and certainly not a router.

Message 2 of 4
drfatbuss
Aspirant

Re: GS108 prosafe switch added to network but having trouble adopting previously working unify APs

perhaps i can simplify the question as the prior response did not contain anything that helps to solve my issue

Internet source is Xfinity Xfi device.

how to i get 3 unify AP's and 2 apple airports to adopt/connect/be recognized?

currently getting error saying AP's adoption failed, and airplays no longer found.

trying to connect Xfi to 108 switch and all peripheral devices hardwired into the switch.

everything currently works when hardwired to netgear r6400 router.

thank you

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@drfatbuss wrote:

Internet source is Xfinity Xfi device.

everything currently works when hardwired to netgear r6400 router.

Can only guess. Is the Xfinity xFi probably configured to bridge mode, and the Netgear R6400 does all the required LAN services (DHCP, handling private LAN IP addresses, like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x). Not only your Unfi APs require this, also your Airplay devices..

With the R6400 in place, login to the Xfinity xFi CPE if possible, and change it from Bridge Mode to full router mode.

What Xfinity says: "If Bridge Mode is enabled on your xFi Gateway, you’ll be able to access a version of the Xfinity app with limited features to manage your account, but you won't be able to use any Xfinity xFi features to manage, personalize and secure your home network."

Probably some nice fellows here can assist, or you have to talk to Xfinity support for assistance in cant you can't figure out on your own.

Keep in mind we're Netgear community members here, neither Xfinity xFi, nor Unify experts.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements