× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet after connecting GS316 switch to latop using ethernet cable

mandardjoshi
Aspirant

No internet after connecting GS316 switch to latop using ethernet cable

I recently bought the Netgear GS316 Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch.

Connection:

* I have broadband internet connection.

* Broadband internet cable is connected to a modem given by the ISP

* I have connected the internet modem to the switch using ethernet cable.

* From the switch, I have connected my Router, and have ethernet cables running all over the house.

Issue:

My router gets connected to the internet. I get wifi signal to all the devices.

But when I connect my laptop to the ethernet cable, I get error messages. There is no internet. Or "Ethernet does not have valid IP configuration" messages.

When the ethernet cable is connected to a laptop, the lights on the switch port are illuminated. So I presume the connection is there but it is not able to connect to internet.

Note: All ethernet wires are new and working.

Where am I going wrong?

Should I connect Router to Modem and from the router, switch should be connected?

Thank you in advance.

Model: GS316|16 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: No internet after connecting GS316 switch to latop using ethernet cable

@mandardjoshi wrote:
  • From switch --> Router 2 thru which I will connect my devices to wifi

Not sure why you want to do this - you could use a router in router mode for the wireless, but you will have two different networks in the house.

Consider to configure the second router to wireless access point mode.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@mandardjoshi wrote:

* I have connected the internet modem to the switch using ethernet cable.

* From the switch, I have connected my Router, and have ethernet cables running all over the house.

That's the mistake. It must be Modem <-> [WAN/Internet port] Router [LAN port(s)] <=> Switch or other direct connected Ethernet devices. <=> in-house cabling <=> devices around the houe

@mandardjoshi wrote:

But when I connect my laptop to the ethernet cable, I get error messages. There is no internet. Or "Ethernet does not have valid IP configuration" messages.

Background: The ISP does only assign one (very few allow two) public IP address to the CPE, here the first device connected to the router WAN/Internet port. This is intended either for a single device, the most popular one is a router. It's the router doing NAT (Network address translation) and assigning private IP addresses, e.g. from the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to your devices on the wireless and wired devices connected to the LAN ports.

Message 2 of 6
mandardjoshi
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply.

So if I understand correctly, I must:

1. Connect the internet cable --> to the modem.
  2. From the Modem connect --> the Router.
  3. From the router connect --> the switch. 

So can I connect two routers in the following manner?

• Internet cable --> Modem
  • Modem --> Router 1
  • Router 1 --> Switch
  • From switch --> Other ethernet cables
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@mandardjoshi wrote:

Not sure why you want to do this - you could use a router in router mode for the wireless, but you will have two different networks in the house.

Consider to configure the second router to wireless access point mode.

Message 4 of 6
anthwind1
Aspirant

I have a GS316 unmanaged switch.  The connections are as follows Arris 6190 cable internet router to Netgear GS316.  The GS 316 is then connected to my house Ethernet wires.  The Ethernet connects to Nighthawk AC 2600 Smart WiFi Router and a Samsung TV and works fine.  When I try to connect my any computer to the rest of the Ethernet, it states the Internet is not there.  I see the lights on the GS 316 light up.  I am thinking this was the wrong Ethernet switch for the network.   The installation sheets show this should work.  Is there a Ethernet switching device that will do what I want, instead of the GS 316

Thanks

Anthony

Message 5 of 6
mandardjoshi
Aspirant

Hi Anthony,

I did the same mistake. Now I can connect to all my ethernet cables. 

Can you change your connections and check?

1. Connect the Arris 6190 cable internet router to your Nighthawk AC 2600 Smart WiFi Router. 
  2. From the Nighthawk AC 2600 Smart WiFi Router connect the GS316 ethernet switch.
  3. Now from the 316 Ethernet switch connect all those ethernet cables to different devices.

Thank you,

Mandar 

@anthwind1 wrote:

I have a GS316 unmanaged switch.  The connections are as follows Arris 6190 cable internet router to Netgear GS316.  The GS 316 is then connected to my house Ethernet wires.  The Ethernet connects to Nighthawk AC 2600 Smart WiFi Router and a Samsung TV and works fine.  When I try to connect my any computer to the rest of the Ethernet, it states the Internet is not there.  I see the lights on the GS 316 light up.  I am thinking this was the wrong Ethernet switch for the network.   The installation sheets show this should work.  Is there a Ethernet switching device that will do what I want, instead of the GS 316

Thanks

Anthony

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements