× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nothing connecting to internet on unmanaged switch

LiamG91
Follower

Nothing connecting to internet on unmanaged switch

Hi,

I have recently changed routers. All my devices connected to my unmanaged switch perfectly to the internet when the old router was in situ, but now I have this new router, none of my devices connected to my switch connect to the Internet. If I plug the device directly into the new router, they work. Is there something I need to do to the unmanaged switch when I've changes routers? I've tried power cycling it and it still hasn't worked.

Thanks
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nothing connecting to internet on unmanaged switch

@LiamG91 wrote:
I have recently changed routers. All my devices connected to my unmanaged switch perfectly to the internet when the old router was in situ, but now I have this new router, none of my devices connected to my switch connect to the Internet.

Are you aware this (new?) XS505M is a switch, supporting 10 Gigabit links, all MultiGig link speeds like 5 Gb, 2.5 Gb, 1 Gb, and 100 Mb Fast Ethernet - but not a NAT router at all?

@LiamG91 wrote:
If I plug the device directly into the new router, they work. 

Now you confuse the reader completely. What router is in place there - which apparently works without this switch (???) please?

Keep in mind that without a NAT router, most home Internet "modems" only accept a single physical device, so only one MAC address can be used. Is this what you see when connecting say a computer direct to the ISP device or port? 

@LiamG91 wrote:
Is there something I need to do to the unmanaged switch when I've changes routers?

Usually not, because here are no configuration options on a XS505M switch at all.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements