× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Purposefully powering off and on a POE switch mutiple times a day

tbclcair
Follower

Purposefully powering off and on a POE switch mutiple times a day

I am setting a camera system, but I need a few of the cameras to be able to be fully disabled. 

If I have the couple of cameras on a separate POE switch, then I could turn off that POE switch which would fully disable the couple of cameras.

Are there issues with turning a POE switch off an on?  Would any type of power conditioner help with the abrupt off/on to the POE switch?

Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Purposefully powering off and on a POE switch mutiple times a day

@tbclcair,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Are there issues with turning a POE switch off an on?

As far as I know, there are no issues that might occur.  However, this is not advisable. 

You may want to consider other NETGEAR Smart Managed Pro Switch models like the GS510TLP, GS510TPP and GS418TPP because they have the option to set a PoE Timer Schedule.  Kindly check pages 123-129 of the GS510TLP/GS510TPP/GS418TPP user manual here about the setting up PoE Timer Schedule.

To learn more about the specifications of the GS510TLP, GS510TPP and GS418TPP, kindly the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Purposefully powering off and on a POE switch multiple times a day

@tbclcair wrote:

... powering off and on a POE switch multiple times a day ...

Bad idea - these are the events the hardware is at risk - much higher risk than operating this kind of hardware 24*366*years.

As suggested before, consider some PoE scheduling, or run some SNMP network action application to disable/enable PoE. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements