× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SoHo Connection XS712

Leffi
Tutor

SoHo Connection XS712

Hello to all,

i need an advice upgrading a SoHo to 10 GB network.

I have 5 PCs plus printer and other components connected to a xs712t 10GB switch now.

That one replaces an 1GB switch 16 port d-link switch. The PCs connect with 1GB Ethernet at the moment.

The Nas for the daily Backups of the PCs at night and internet connection is in a different room. So with the d-link i had only connection with one GB wich is a bottleneck.

If i take a XS505M and connect it with standard Cat6-cable, can i use any port, or do those switches have designated "Uplink ports" ?

I cannot find any information about uplink port or Auto MDI-X on the ports.

Thanks for your answers,

Leffi

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: SoHo Connection XS712T - XS505M/508M

@Leffi wrote:

I have 5 PCs plus printer and other components connected to a xs712t 10GB switch now.

That one replaces an 1GB switch 16 port d-link switch. The PCs connect with 1GB Ethernet at the moment.

Before fully decommission the 1Gb switch, be reminded that 10 GbE switches can't handle 10 Mb/s legacy Ethernet.

@Leffi wrote:

If i take a XS505M and connect it with standard Cat6-cable, can i use any port, or do those switches have designated "Uplink ports"? I cannot find any information about uplink port or Auto MDI-X on the ports.

There are no designated uplink ports on any newer Netgear switches, this was a problem 20+ years ago on early 10/100 Mb/s only. Auto MDI-X is (de-facto or effective?) standard for decade or more on any Gb/s and 10Gb/s switches.

@Leffi wrote:

Or should i buy XS508 which has more bandwidth  (160 instead of 100 GBit/s) would it make a difference? 

Only if you need more ports, or if you expect five copper ports as the XS505M has only four, plus one dedicated SFP+. The bandwidth on the data sheet is coming from the full wirespeed switching for n2n - you don't have more bandwidth in total due to the number of bi-directional ports. 

@Leffi wrote:

I would connect the NAS, internet, a second NAS as Mirror, and 1 additional PC.

If Internet translates to the router LAN interface that's OK. 

In case you intend to install the router on another location, e.g. in a rack with the XS712T, or plan to run multiple VLANs, be aware the XS505M/XS708M are non-manged and can't be configured for multiple VLANs to isolate Internet/WAN from the LAN(s), or to add more VLANs (guest, IoT, block storage, ...).

Edit - one more constraint: With the XS505M/XS508M you can't run trunks/LAG/aggregation groups between the two switches. As you intend to run a NAS, think about the need to offer link aggregation for the NAS as more and more NAS can offer performance beyond of a single 10 Gb/s link, so hink about having two 10G ports for a future NAS, too.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Leffi
Tutor

Re: SoHo Connection XS712

Or should i buy XS508 which has more bandwidth  (160 instead of 100 GBit/s)

would it make a difference? 

Thanks for your answers.

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Leffi wrote:

Before fully decommission the 1Gb switch, be reminded that 10 GbE switches can't handle 10 Mb/s legacy Ethernet.

@Leffi wrote:

If i take a XS505M and connect it with standard Cat6-cable, can i use any port, or do those switches have designated "Uplink ports"? I cannot find any information about uplink port or Auto MDI-X on the ports.

There are no designated uplink ports on any newer Netgear switches, this was a problem 20+ years ago on early 10/100 Mb/s only. Auto MDI-X is (de-facto or effective?) standard for decade or more on any Gb/s and 10Gb/s switches.

@Leffi wrote:

Or should i buy XS508 which has more bandwidth  (160 instead of 100 GBit/s) would it make a difference? 

Only if you need more ports, or if you expect five copper ports as the XS505M has only four, plus one dedicated SFP+. The bandwidth on the data sheet is coming from the full wirespeed switching for n2n - you don't have more bandwidth in total due to the number of bi-directional ports. 

@Leffi wrote:

If Internet translates to the router LAN interface that's OK. 

In case you intend to install the router on another location, e.g. in a rack with the XS712T, or plan to run multiple VLANs, be aware the XS505M/XS708M are non-manged and can't be configured for multiple VLANs to isolate Internet/WAN from the LAN(s), or to add more VLANs (guest, IoT, block storage, ...).

Edit - one more constraint: With the XS505M/XS508M you can't run trunks/LAG/aggregation groups between the two switches. As you intend to run a NAS, think about the need to offer link aggregation for the NAS as more and more NAS can offer performance beyond of a single 10 Gb/s link, so hink about having two 10G ports for a future NAS, too.

Message 3 of 4
Leffi
Tutor

Thanks alot schumaku,

that clears every single question i had.  🙂

I am not an Network expert, that is why i was asking, and your quick and

precised answers help me alot.

Have a nice day,

Leffi

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors