× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch loses internet connection

PattonSteel
Aspirant

Switch loses internet connection

I got this 8 port switch from Netgear a while ago, I don't know what it is, and I can't open up the cabnet it is stored in right now to get the model number, but I can give this infromation:

-It is completely blue on the entire box.

-All 8 ports are in the same row, they are all touching each other.

I plugged it into my router, and plugged it into a bundle of cables in my closet, which were installed by cox. After I did this, I could get internet anywhere in my house by just plugging in my computer/laptop. I have one computer which has an important work program which, when I am working, needs to remain on and connected to my companies' server. I get dropped once every 2-3 hours, but it is comlpetely random, and could happen five times in 30 minutes. This is extremely frustrating, and I need to reenter my company's program every time. 

Currently this is my setup.

Surfboard Modem(Cox) --> Asus router --> Wall -->Switch --> computer

All my cables are ethernet cables, and when I plug in my computer to the Asus router, I have no problems. 

So I have to assume I have done something wrong with the switch....? 

Thanks

-PattonSteel

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
PattonSteel
Aspirant

Re: Switch loses internet connection

Editor Note: It was found that this particular switch was faulty and needed a replacement after doing troubleshooting steps below. If you have a similar issue please kudos and follow the steps here to have the switch replaced.

1. From your current network setup, disconnect the GS108 switch from the ethernet port on the wall. 

Done

2. Connect your PC/laptop directly to the ethernet port on the wall.  

Ok, it works, and I get ethernet and a valid IP. I can also go into my Asus router page 

Questions:

a. Are you able to get a valid IP address if your PC/laptop is connected to the ethernet port on the wall?

Yes, and it is the same adress as if I connected it with a wire to the port on my router; the wire in the wall is direct to my cabnet, in my cabnet is a large bundle of wires.

b. Are you able to access the internet if your PC/laptop is connected to the ethernet port on the wall?

Yes 

Let's continue with the steps below:

3. Connect the GS108 switch directly to the Asus router.

ok

4. While the GS108 switch is connected to the Asus router, connect your PC/laptop directly to the GS108 switch.

Ok done, and it works, but I still have had drops, and connection stops evey 20 minutes; it's even worse now that I am monitoring it.

Questions:

c. Are you able to get a valid IP address if your PC/laptop after doing steps 3 and 4?

Yes

d. Are you able to access the internet if your PC/laptop after doing steps 3 and 4?

Yes.

The problem that I am really having is that the ethernet will drop whenever it is connected to my switch....

So I guess my question is, If I return this swithc, and I get a managed switch, can I make it so that the one computer will have constant acess with no drops or packet loss at all?. 

Is there any device which will split an ethernet connection from one ethernet wire to multiple? preferably to 7 other ports so I can keep all the outlets in my house with ethernet?

Thanks DaneA,

-PattonSteel

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
PattonSteel
Aspirant

Got in and I found that the model: GS108 8PRTGB

Message 2 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PattonSteel,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly try the steps below:

1. From your current network setup, disconnect the GS108 switch from the ethernet port on the wall.

Questions:

a. Are you able to get a valid IP address if your PC/laptop is connected to the ethernet port on the wall?

b. Are you able to access the internet if your PC/laptop is connected to the ethernet port on the wall?

4. While the GS108 switch is connected to the Asus router, connect your PC/laptop directly to the GS108 switch.

Questions:

c. Are you able to get a valid IP address if your PC/laptop after doing steps 3 and 4?

d. Are you able to access the internet if your PC/laptop after doing steps 3 and 4?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 7
PattonSteel
Aspirant

Editor Note: It was found that this particular switch was faulty and needed a replacement after doing troubleshooting steps below. If you have a similar issue please kudos and follow the steps here to have the switch replaced.

Done

Ok, it works, and I get ethernet and a valid IP. I can also go into my Asus router page 

Questions:

Yes, and it is the same adress as if I connected it with a wire to the port on my router; the wire in the wall is direct to my cabnet, in my cabnet is a large bundle of wires.

Yes 

ok

Ok done, and it works, but I still have had drops, and connection stops evey 20 minutes; it's even worse now that I am monitoring it.

Questions:

Yes

Yes.

The problem that I am really having is that the ethernet will drop whenever it is connected to my switch....

So I guess my question is, If I return this swithc, and I get a managed switch, can I make it so that the one computer will have constant acess with no drops or packet loss at all?. 

Is there any device which will split an ethernet connection from one ethernet wire to multiple? preferably to 7 other ports so I can keep all the outlets in my house with ethernet?

Thanks DaneA,

-PattonSteel

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PattonSteel,

It seems that your GS108 switch is faulty.  If your GS108 switch is still under hardware warranty, I suggest you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  State the condition of your GS108 switch and the troubleshooting steps we've done to isolate the problem.  Attach a .pdf or .doc copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS108 switch on the online case for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, then online replacement will follow. 

A managed switch would also fit your network needs.  You may check the links below to help you search the NETGEAR Switch model you prefer:

NETGEAR Switch Selector

NETGEAR ProSAFE Switches

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PattonSteel,

Were you able to open an online case with NETGEAR Support?  If yes, kindly keep us posted.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PattonSteel,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements