× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear prosafe 8 port gigabit switch model GS108 v3

jmcglass01
Aspirant

netgear prosafe 8 port gigabit switch model GS108 v3

Stupid question: We bought and recently moved into a house (no close neighbors) and we found subject device. It is plugged into power and has cables going to and from it (into walls and can't determine exactly where right now and not sure it matters). This SSID continues to appear as a wfi network: NTGR_VMB_1921871798. When we moved in we set up our wifi network w/verizon fios, which works and shows up as an SSID for most devices. However when I try to set up my wifi printer, it sees the netgear device SSID but not my verizon fios wifi network SSID. I guess my question is: what is this thing and why is it showing up as a wifi SSID? From what I've read, a switch like this does not broadcast. I am not into networking and am very ignorant wrt to these things; I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: netgear prosafe 8 port gigabit switch model GS108 v3

The GS108v3 is certainly not the "source" for this wireless SSID - as it's a pure GbE switch, and it has no radios. Either way, appears there is some wired Ethernet installation in your house - good signs.

NTGR_VMB_1921871798 reads to me like a Arlo, more likely a Netgear Arlo, or earlier Netgear (e.g. VMB4000) wireless camera base station, using very similar band(s) technology like WiFi. It is not workable with generic WiFi clients however.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The GS108v3 is certainly not the "source" for this wireless SSID - as it's a pure GbE switch, and it has no radios. Either way, appears there is some wired Ethernet installation in your house - good signs.

NTGR_VMB_1921871798 reads to me like a Arlo, more likely a Netgear Arlo, or earlier Netgear (e.g. VMB4000) wireless camera base station, using very similar band(s) technology like WiFi. It is not workable with generic WiFi clients however.

Message 2 of 3
jmcglass01
Aspirant

You are right and thank you. I believe it is the Arlo pro base station. (I unplugged the switch from power and the Netgear ssid continued to appear). Unfortunately my printer still is not detecting my WiFi ssid even from a few inches away, but that is another issue...
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements