× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear switch - FS108 - Daisy-chaining switches

alan_UK
Aspirant

Netgear switch - FS108 - Daisy-chaining switches

I need 2 extra ports on my home network.  Can I just purchase another FS108 and take the RJ45 cable out of the first switch and pug it into the second switch.  I don't mind a small speed loss.  Just don't understand how to expand the network - other than complete replacement with a JFS516, which I was hoping to avoid.

Model: FS108|8 PORT Fast Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear switch - FS108 - Daisy-chaining switches

Hi Alan_UK, 

You are welcome! If ever this post helped you with your question, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello alan_UK, 

Welcome to the community! 

Yes, you can connect the second switch to the first one. This is what they called daisy-chaining. I don't think there will be a lot of speed loss when daisy chaining switches, if ever there is any it is hardly noticeable. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
alan_UK
Aspirant

Thank you JohnRo.

Kind regards

Alan_UK

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Alan_UK, 

You are welcome! If ever this post helped you with your question, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
alan_UK
Aspirant

Thanks for telling me.  I have just ordered another FS108.  Thank you again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements