× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.8.1 on legacy RNS6U boot issues - upgraded usb package?

Cheppetto
Aspirant

6.8.1 on legacy RNS6U boot issues - upgraded usb package?

As i updated my backup NAS RNSU6 today it stuck in shutting down. After rebboting manually it is stuck on displaying "Readynas". 

I would love to try an USB firmware recovery but the last version available is 6.7.4 as "Raidar Version".

Any chance an update is to be released soon? i know it is unofficial, but the Backup NAS should be up again keeping all the data of my RNS516 in a save spot.

I was forced to update to OS6 caused by incompabilities in the rsync protocoll.

Hoping for a little help @Skywalker @mdgm-ntgr 

Thanks in advance

Best Benedikt

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 6.8.1 on legacy RNS6U boot issues - upgraded usb package?

You’ll need to rename the OS6 firmware .img file to RAIDiator-x86-something to get it to work with USB Boot Recovery for RAIDiator-x86 systems.

However if the problem is not with the firmware internal flash then USB Boot Recovery won’t help.

There are other possibilities e.g. a bad disk

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Cliff_MI
Guide

You can update the USB Boot file with the latest firmware by substituting the new image file for the old one.

Just download the current version of the that you want to use and swap out the firmware file.

Then just follow the directions on the USB Boot and it should work for you.

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You’ll need to rename the OS6 firmware .img file to RAIDiator-x86-something to get it to work with USB Boot Recovery for RAIDiator-x86 systems.

However if the problem is not with the firmware internal flash then USB Boot Recovery won’t help.

There are other possibilities e.g. a bad disk

Message 3 of 7
Cheppetto
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, will try with renaming.
I am aware that it might be a disk fault too, spin up sounded ok, and LEDs showed no error, but let's see and again thanks a lot. I thought that the package is signed with other keys that's why i asked.

So i will just rename the .bin to raidar*** and check if it works.
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Cheppetto wrote:

So i will just rename the .bin to raidar*** and check if it works.

Not raidar***

RAIDiator-x86-***

Message 5 of 7
Cheppetto
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for all the answers, i turned out to be a failed drive on slot 3, S.M.A.R.T. looks good for the disk, rebuild runs currently, let's see if it needs to be exchanged.

Sorry for not suspecting a drive fail, but it seems that on an Raidar unit this is not so easy to find out. In the end i was starting adding one disk after another to see which one prevents the unit from booting.

As said above thanks a lot for all the help, awesome as always

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Glad you solved it.  Usually it is pretty easy to tell that you have a failed drive, but there are some corner cases where it isn't.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements