× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A note for product design guys

droz1
Aspirant

A note for product design guys

It would be great if in future 316 product revisions that some sort of design element was included to prevent the side panels of the 6 bay models from resonating with the vibration of the hard drives.

In a small quiet house it's pretty noticeable.

I'm currently using two dead hard drives leaning against the sides to stop the resonating.
Message 1 of 3
vandermerwe
Master

Re: A note for product design guys

I've had 2 316 units, one with 6 drives the other with 4, then 5 drives. The only noise I hear is the fan spinning, I've never heard the side panels "resonating".
What drives are you using?
Did you buy the unit new? If so, have you filed a support request? This sounds (if your hard drives are ok and on the compatibility list) like a chassis problem.
Message 2 of 3
droz1
Aspirant

Re: A note for product design guys

Yes I bought it new

Started out with six Seagate ST3000DM001's

Am now up to four HGST HDN724040ALE640's (4TB) and two HGST HDN726060ALE610's (6TB).

The noise isn't due to excessive vibration I can tell you that.

The side panels just just thin metal and will vibrate and amplify the natural vibration of the drives.

I live in a pretty quiet house with little outside noise. I can hear the drives spinning and the fan going from across the room. It isn't annoying to hear the natural sound of mechanical devices.

But the side panels resonating get me. I have my 316 wedged in between my desktop and an NVX with foam mats between them to keep the noise down. It's at least 10db quieter
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements