× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP and share/permission errors by moving files to readynas

gsusivo
Aspirant

AFP and share/permission errors by moving files to readynas

Hello,

I have A Netgear Readynas Ultra 6 with Raidiator 4.2.19. I use this machine with 2 Apple computers (OSX Lion).
The Nas is recently restored to factory defaults. Before the reset I made a copy of the files from the Nas by copying them and moving to an external usb hard drive.
Now the system is finished building the flexraid2 array with 4x 2TB disks. If I want to copy (or move) the files from the USB hard drive to the Nas by accessing him over AFP I directly get: 'The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)
By googling this error I found out (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1618) that this error has to do with:
-50 paramErr Error in user parameter list

I have no idea what goes wrong. In FrontView I have AFP enabled write and read permissions for the media share.
I got this problem also after a second factory restore. If I connect the external hard drive to the other macintosh computer, and try to copy the files to the Nas, I get exactly the same error. If I copy files I already had on my computer (which did never stood on the external hard drive there is no problem. If I copy the files from the hard drive to the computer and then to the Nas, I also get the error. It is also possible to use CIFS, but it is really, really slow and not an option.

I also tried to connect the USB hard drive to the front USB connection, and made a backup to the media share.
The directories were not accessible then and were marked with a red forbidden icon.

Secondly it's not possible to mount the shares (Finder, connect to server, Readynas (AFP) ). I get the window: select the volumes U want to activate on 'Readynas': backup, media. It is not possible to click on one of them, they are gray.
Normally I click on Finder, Network and i can directly see the available shares on the Nas. Now i can see only the different servers (afp en cifs).

Can someone please help me? I really want to use the Nas as easy as possible. Just safe drag and drop files without worrying about anything else. I hope to hear from you soon!!!
Thanks!

Ivo
Message 1 of 5
devs1
Aspirant

Re: AFP and share/permission errors by moving files to ready

Hi did you ever solve this issue as I'm having the same problem and getting the error 50 message when trying to copy my file back.

Many thanks!
Message 2 of 5
damianp
Aspirant

I had the same issue. I gave up and used CIFS for the initial copy(I had copied all the data off my readynas to do a rebuild/factory reset) and then used AFP after that. Seems ok with net new files being copied via AFP.
Message 3 of 5
devs1
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the reply. I did try via CIFS but it has problems with some of the filenames and will not copy.

I also did a rebuild and factory reset but receive the same error 50 message. Very frustrating and nobody on the forums seems to have a fix.. 😞
Message 4 of 5
Scoco1
Aspirant

I had the same error 50 message whenever I tried to copy a directory to my ReadyNas Pro 4 using the AFP share.
Typical case is copying a directory with some files and subdirectories:
the files copy up to the subdirectory and an empty subdirectory gets created before I get the unexpected error 50 message.
None of the subdirectory contents gets copied over, and none of the files (or other subdirectories) after the first subdirectory (in my Finder listing) get copied either.
I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro (2.5GHz Intel Core i7, OSX 10.7.5) over the WiFi and my iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.6.8) over Ethernet to my Netgear DGND3730 wireless modem router. The ReadyNAS Pro is connected to the router with two ethernet cables.

Using the CIFS share I can copy as much as I like with 99.999% accuracy (it still occasionally fails part way through a big copy), but it does seem slower.
Happily, it appears that once I "broke the ice" with CIFS, the AFP copying seems to have started behaving itself.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements