× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing files from Internet

suskis
Aspirant

Accessing files from Internet

I have a ReadyNAS 10400 (arm architecture = no transcodification) and around 8Tb of videos I want to be able to access (and share) from Internet.
My connection is a 30/3Mbit fiber, so it can guarantee a decent upload speed, I think.
What could be the easiest way to share everything online? I have an html catalogue of every single file that I keep updated.
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Accessing files from Internet

3 mbit is enough for streaming music, and for a single typical standard definition videos (xvid, mp4). It's not enough for HD video (usually that takes 6-12 mbps). Of course than can be other bottlenecks between your ISP and your remote device.

When you say "share" do you mean multiple simultaneous users? Are you thinking streaming or downloading?
Message 2 of 9
suskis
Aspirant

just downloading, not streaming.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

OK. FTP or HTTPS would both work (and you can enable them both).

Will all the users have access to the same content? Is there some files that you want to keep private?
Message 4 of 9
suskis
Aspirant

I am trying to setup FTP (but port forwarding seems not working on my router...).
I wanted to have something usable (4000 files are too much to handle via ftp only) like a mini-site.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

FileZilla is an FTP client that gives folder browsing similar to windows explorer; supports drag/drop, and queues copying. There are several others. You would need some structure to make it manageable (I think you'd need that with an http site also).

You can set up the RN104 to act as a web server - the http settings (system->settings->services) let you specify a folder for the default web page, and there is a third-party wordpress addon. I haven't set it up myself though, generally I use FTPS for file access when I'm not home.
Message 6 of 9
suskis
Aspirant

the agony never ends. can't make FTP work because my router does not support passive ftp ports (it has only port 21 for both in and out FTP, fixed). and ReadyNAS can't be set to work only in active mode...

EDIT:

Filezille can't access anything, but Internet Explorer entered the NAS and downloaded a file! But as I was using my admin account, I tried with a normal user, and I could not enter any more. I switched back to admin account, but nothing... It worked just once!?!?

EDIT 2:

it works. it's just Internet Explorer that doesn't accept the NAS hiding itself...
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Readynas can be set to active mode, but in general it is a bad idea. The problem with active mode is that it fails if the client is behind a NAT router (usually the case if you are over the internet).

Internet explorer is not very good at ftp.

You do need to forward the passive ports. Perhaps the issue is that you are using a built-in FTP setting in the router. Generally there is a "custom" port forwarding setting that lets you forward anything. What router are you using?
Message 8 of 9
suskis
Aspirant

UPDATE: I have been using this piece of metal for some time, bypassing the problem of public ip changing using the option ReadynasREMOTE has to show you the actual ip of the machine. Everything went ok until, as always happens with this product, it stopped working for unknown reason. I can't eve find any more the button to copy the ip of the machine on the program (and I have restarted it).
I tried ReadyCloud: it shows my NAS but it acts as it has no shared folder at all (false: I watched a movie via ReadyDLNA yesterday).
to sum it up, I am seriously considering buying a new NAS.

EDIT: ok, ReadyNASREMOTE says my NAS is Offline. My Nas, says he is ONLINE (all services say "internet available" and "services avaliables" and both Remote and Cloud are running and ok). nevertheless, my NAS is not seen by my ReadyNASREMOTE. it is seen by ReadyCLOUD BUT it looks it is empty, while it is not.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements