× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice needed: Backing up Readynas to a remote server

cstern
Aspirant

Advice needed: Backing up Readynas to a remote server

Hi,

I have a Readynas NVX with a total of 8TB (configured so that usable space is about 5 TB).

I also have an account on a commercial webhost which allows for unlimited disk usage. They do not provide backup, however.
This is not a problem since I backup my web sites hosted by servage to my readynas.

Now, my problem is that I'd like to use my web space as a backup device. I have tried to use frontview to backup the contents of my NVX to the servage serve, but it always fails at some point.

I can not install programs on the server unless it is web based, php etc.

Do any of you clever guys have a suggestion to how I can backup my NVX to the remote server?

When the first backup is done of course I'd like to keep the backup up-to-date. But I don't want to copy the whole lot every time - I guess it would take many days each time.

Thanks in advance,

Claus
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Advice needed: Backing up Readynas to a remote server

Does the webhost site support FTP?
Message 2 of 4
cstern
Aspirant

yes it does. But not rsync
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

There is a patch which allows incremental FTP backup - there is a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53337&p=315532&hilit=ftp+incremental#p315587

Note the caveat, you need to be careful not to enable upload resume. You might also want to try replacing a file with a longer one of the same name, and make sure it works ok.

ewok wrote:
Please give this addon a try, it will restore the old behavior:

http://www.readynas.com/contributed/ewo ... .1-x86.bin

Warning: the reason this was taken out is because this behavior is actually pseudo-incremental and can have nasty side effects. Incremental backup was a side effect of having upload resumes enabled. With upload resumes enabled, the backup manager will try to resume uploading a file if a file of the same name on the destination side was smaller than that of the file on the source side, regardless of whether the rest of the file matches or not.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements