× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After update firmware 6.4.0, RN10400 doesnt boot

fxmail
Guide

Re: After update firmware 6.4.0, RN10400 doesnt boot

The sugested course of action was to replace the hardware.  I really didnt want to do that as it would cost me more in time and money to get a replacement shipped to me.   Someone in the community suggested booting in READ ONLY mode and it booted just fine and all my data was there.  I could now copy my data off at least.  I then asked for a second opinion of the diagnoses that it was a hardware issue and they told me I sould have balanced the data before I updated the firmware.   I am not sure how I was supposed to know to do that.  The update should have had a message or warning to balance the data before updating. 

I copied my data off so I could do a factory install.  The factory install fixed the issue for now as it boots normally though if the issue was with snapshots  or something else, OR the next Netgear update,  the jury is still out!!!

Message 26 of 28
AndypigpenDoran
Aspirant

That's almost comically bad support. To first tell you that your hardware is at fault is bad enough. To then tell you that you should have "balanced the data" before the update is abysmal. How about their firmware update refuses to install if you have not taken an action and that could lead to the firmware taking out the system.

Message 27 of 28
rexx
Aspirant

Me too was able to rescue data this way. It took about a week and every available media I could get my hands on. From history lessons, Dunkirk World War 2 came to mind. Still in the process of restoring, but it looks good now. I'm going to be very very careful in the future about applying RN10400 firmware upgrades.   

Message 28 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements