× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

An APC for five devices?

Kish
Aspirant

An APC for five devices?

I have an old ReadyNAS NV+, Pro BE, Gigibit switch, router and Modem all in one room. The two NAS have there own APC UPS unit one of them needs replaced. What I would like to do is buy a big APC unit for all five device and have a power strip plugged into the one battery port on it and have all five devices back up. And have NV+ look to the Pro BE to see when it should shut down. Is this at all possible if so which APC should I buy to do this? Thank you.

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: An APC for five devices?

You can connect the UPS USB port to one NAS, and have the others remotely monitor it (over the network).  You do need to connect the NAS to the same switch/router, and protect that switch with the UPS also. I have 3 ReadyNAS protected by one UPS using this approach, and it works fine.

My UPS (Cyberlink) all have several protected power-outlets - you might not need a power strip.

I don't happen to use APC, so I have no recommendation on the model.

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, that depends on how long you want it to be able to hold up the voltage and the acceptable form factor.  A 750VA one would likely be enough power, but a 1500 would hold up twice as long, at less than twice the price.  Of course, the 1500 would be bigger, too, likely having two batteries instead of one.

I don't have a specific APC to suggest, though the BR1500G looks good on paper and has 5 battery backed up outlets and even an option for an extended battery pack.  I use a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD, which is a similar size and capacity; and it is just about as tall as the ProBE.  It does have only 4 backed up outlets, though.  With batteries around two years old, it is currently estimating it will hold up my 3 ProBE/Pro6 NASes for 9 minutes.  A 1500 is pretty much the biggest you will find that plugs into a standard (NEMA-15) outlet.  If you look at something bigger, check what plug it uses.

Of course, the cream of the crop is typically Eaton, and the 5S1500LCD looks good.  Three year warranty includes the batteries (which rarely last me 3 years due to Florida thunderstorms and resulting short power outages).  I have a couple of 5P1500's for equipment that is sensitive to waveform and/or power factor, but those are overkill for what you need.  I got a steal on them on eBay (enough to make me wonder if they were, indead, stolen; but they came up clean when I registered them).

Whatever you choose, make sure it uses a common battery.  Most of the 1500VA ones use a UB1270/80/90 or similar (often with an adaper in between two, but that's movable), and those are available pretty cheap on eBay.  It was hard for me to find info on the batteries in that Eaton, but they do seem to be the standard UB12xx with an adapter.  My 5P1500's use those, though 3 batteries instead of 2.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Well, that depends on how long you want it to be able to hold up the voltage and the acceptable form factor...    I use a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD, which is a similar size and capacity; and it is just about as tall as the ProBE...  With batteries around two years old, it is currently estimating it will hold up my 3 ProBE/Pro6 NASes for 9 minutes.

A 1500 is likely the size you want. 

I also use CyberPower - a mix of CP1350s and CP1500s.  They are about the height of the pro-6, and somewhat thinner.  I see much longer run times than Sandshark, but I'm not protecting three x86 NAS from one UPS.  A CP1350 protects my NV+, duo, and RN102 and my GS724T switch, and claims 57 minutes run time.  That's likely somewhat less than your loading will be, but closer than what Sandshark is doing. 

Note that if the two NAS are connected to the switch, then you could connect the modem and the router to the surge-protected outlets of the UPS.  You'd lose internet during the power outage of course.

@Sandshark wrote:

A 1500 is pretty much the biggest you will find that plugs into a standard (NEMA-15) outlet.  

Very true, and of course it's not safe to modify the plug.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements