× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone using an Android TV dongle/box with a ReadyNAS?

robotson
Aspirant

Anyone using an Android TV dongle/box with a ReadyNAS?

Hi,

I have a non-smart LG 32" HD tv, which is also not DLNA compatible. So I'm thinking of buying one of these new Android TV boxes or Android TV dongles such as the MK808 (HDMI stick) or the Pivos Xios DS (set top box), or Geniatech Enjoy TV Box (set top box) in order to get HD video from my ReadyNAS to my TV. All of them seem to be able to stream stuff off various places and onto your TV. But has anyone got any practical experience of using one with a ReadyNAS? Either via wifi or ethernet?

thanks
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Anyone using an Android TV dongle/box with a ReadyNAS?

I don't have direct experience with those specific streams.

I use NTV550 and EVA9150 players with my NAS (both are EOL, so they are not good choices), and have also used WDTV live with no problem.

For maximum flexibility, choose a player that supports CIFS, NFS, and DLNA streaming.
Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I don't have direct experience with those specific products.

I use NTV550 and EVA9150 players with my NAS (both are EOL, so they are not good choices), and have also used WDTV live with no problem.

For maximum flexibility, choose a player that supports CIFS, NFS, and DLNA streaming.
Message 3 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

I use an AppleTV2, jailbroken with XBMC installed. Works well on wired/wireless (802.11N).
Message 4 of 6
robotson
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.. What is EOL may I ask?

I'm not that up on networking speak. Are NFS, CIFS, EOL the same kind of thing as DLNA? Like a language that network-able components can "speak" in?
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

EOL is "end of life". The players I am using won't have any more firmware releases, etc.

NFS and CIFS are network file protocols. CIFS is windows file sharing, NFS is a similar protocol for Linux. They allow any file to be accessed over the network.

DLNA is specific for streaming - it is not for general purpose file access.

If you have a player that can do all three, then you have the most flexibility.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements